Transmission Temp & Vacuum gauge install

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Transmission Temp & Vacuum gauge install

Post by Kentuckian »

This weekend I completed installation of a couple of additional gauges in the cockpit of our B190. The installation was not difficult but is fairly involved and was time consuming.

I installed a transmission temperature gauge. Purpose is to be able to monitor transmission temperature in the mountains and when towing. The transmission temperature sensor install is pretty straight forward and simply replaces a threaded plug that is in the transmission test port location.

I also installed an intake manifold vacuum gauge. The purpose is to use the gauge as engine feedback for optimizing fuel economy. This is achieved by driving in a manner that results in the highest vacuum level at all times. The vacuum gauge line installs with a T fitting inserted into an existing vacuum line on the engine intake manifold.

I selected Auto Meter's Z-series style gauges because both types of gauges were available in that series (both would match) and the white lettering style closely matches the appearance of the existing FORD factory instrument panel gauges. Unfortunately, Auto Meter did not have the gauges available with white needles. However, at night when the FORD gauge needles turn red, the gauges all look exactly the same.

I painted the black plastic pillar mount with a dark gray paint which is a perfect match for the dash color.

The gauges have night time illumination and are wired into the dash lights dimmer circuit. The gauges come with red or green illumination options. I installed the green lens covers which is a perfect match for the FORD green dash lights.

I’m really happy with the way the installation came out and am looking forward to using the new gauges soon!

Parts list:
Auto Meter 2640 Z-Series Electric Transmission Temperature Gauge
Auto Meter 2610 Z-Series Mechanical Vacuum Gauge
Auto Meter 17315 Gauge Works Dual Pillar mount (fits my 1993 E350)

Here is a photo of the cockpit from the driver’s point of view.
Attachments
Pillar Gauges Drivers POV.jpg
Pillar Gauges Drivers POV.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 26370 times
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Transmission Temp & Vacuum gauge install

Post by Kentuckian »

Here is a side view of the pillar mount gauge installation.
Attachments
Pillar Gauges Passenger POV 2.jpg
Pillar Gauges Passenger POV 2.jpg (31.24 KiB) Viewed 26368 times
1993 Airstream B190
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Nice job on the install.

Cliff
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Great post, I have been wanting to add a transmission temperature gauge.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Leigh
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Post by Leigh »

Sweet, good post
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Thanks for the information Kentuckian!
Great job sharing your knowledge guys it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

I've now taken a few trips after installing the new gauges including one pulling my Geo Tracker.

Things I've learned about my transmission temp...
1. Without pulling anything the transmission seems to run about 180 degrees. Good
2. Transmission temp held 180 - 190 degrees even when outside temps varied between 60 degrees and 90 degrees. Good
3. Pulling my Tracker (four wheels down) not much change hills versus flat road. Good
4. Pulling the Tracker with the AC on Max setting and stop and go traffic in town resulted in temperatures approaching 220 degrees. The same kind of driving with the AC set on normal mode resulted in temperatures around 200. Lesson learned : Don't us AC Max setting when pulling the Tracker in stop and go traffic.
1993 Airstream B190
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

Great information!

Thanks for being so detailed in your post. This is something I'd like to try as well.
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Kentuckian wrote: Pulling the Tracker with the AC on Max setting and stop and go traffic in town resulted in temperatures approaching 220 degrees. The same kind of driving with the AC set on normal mode resulted in temperatures around 200. Lesson learned : Don't us AC Max setting when pulling the Tracker in stop and go traffic.
I wonder why that would be. The engine fan should be running when the AC is on, and all the Max setting does (I thought) is recirculate air from inside the van - I thought the AC system would be working the same whether you're on Max or regular AC.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Skater -

Yes, now that I have measured a difference, I'm trying to find out why myself.

You are correct that the AC system recirculates cabin air when set to Max AC. Additionally, I have found some online comments stating that the interior heater control valve (hot water valve) closes, cutting off hot coolant flow through the heater core. If you cut the interior heater core out of the circuit, one would expect system water temperature to rise a little bit. But the difference that I measured seems large for that to be the sole explanation.

The article went on to state that while on normal AC, Ford mixes hot air with cool air to control cabin temperature. However, on max AC the hot water valve closes to assure maximum cold air.

Still investigating...

One of the things I plan to measure is the duty cycle of the compressor while on normal versus max AC.
Last edited by Kentuckian on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Airstream B190
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Kentuckian wrote:Your are correct that the AC system recirculates cabin air when set to Max AC. Additionally, I have found some online comments stating that the interior heater control valve (hot water valve) closes, cutting off hot coolant flow through the heater core. If you cut the interior heater core out of the circuit, one would expect system water temperature to rise a little bit. But the difference that I measured seems large for that to be the sole explanation.
Also, that's the coolant, not the transmission fluid. Transmission fluid doesn't run through the heater core...

Very strange!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

True, the transmission fluid does not run through the heater core. But the transmission fluid does run through a portion of the radiator. So if the radiator temp raises when the interior heater core is out of the circuit, it would make sense that the transmission fluid temperature would also increase.

Unfortunately, I didn't take note of the engine coolant temperature. Next longer trip I take, I'll have to note both the coolant temperature and the transmission temperature during normal AC and also Max AC. That might be enlightening. I need to re-run the test anyway, just to make sure that it is a repeatable phenomena.
1993 Airstream B190
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Do you have a auxiliary transmission cooler.

Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

No, mine is the stock factory configuration. Part of the reason to install the tranny temp gauge was to assess if I needed to install additional cooling for the transmission.
1993 Airstream B190
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

The temperature seems to be fine without one on normal AC. Mine has a huge transmission cooler but every tow vehicle I've ever owned has had being the temperature can get a little on the warm side out here. But now I've convinced myself I need a gauge to.
After just spending a few bucks for a rebuild.