Transmission Service....

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Transmission Service....

Post by Alaskan »

Transmission service at the correct intervals is very very important...these transmissions work pretty hard in our rigs due to the near max weight

Its also very important that the filter inside the pan on the transmission be REPLACED...

Always DRAIN the converter during a trans service....most E4OD transmissions have a small 1/8th pipe plug in the converter, you need to put a socket on the crankshaft both to turn the crank til you see that pipe plug.... and you access that small pipe plug by removing the rubber plug just ahead of the transmission pan

The kit costs about $40 at either NAPA or CarQuest...consists of the filter, 0-ring for the filter, and a new gasket...at Ford its $65....and 3+ gallons of trans fluid

Be SURE that when you drop the filter down that the old o-ring comes out with the filter and does not remain up in the valve-body on the transmission..

Its a wee bit of a messy job, in part because the pan does not have a drain plug so its necessary to just remove the bolts and drop in down carefully to begin the draining process........but simple.

If you take it to a trans shop or Ford expect to pay $200 plus if they do it right and drop the pan, replace that filter, flush the system and converter of the old fluid.

That filter is held in place by the pan...no bolts

Kit.....

Showing 2 gaskets here...I discovered that the original Ford rubber gasket is much better than the ones that come in the kit...so I simply re-use that original Ford gasket.

Filter....

Last edited by Alaskan on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Good writeup! Having done this myself last summer (twice...don't ask), my only additional comments would be that:
1. You should have a torque wrench to tighten the pan bolts, because you don't want to under- or over-tighten them, or it'll leak.
2. Be sure to clean off the magnet, too.

When I got my new transmission, I had the shop install a drain plug on the pan. This way I get most of the fluid out of the pan before lowering it, which cuts down on the mess.

There are advantages to having a shop do it - they actually will flush it, instead of just draining it, so you'll get more of the old fluid out.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Yep....there certainly is a circular magnet laying in the pan that would need to be cleaned.

I just tightened the pan bolts with a 1/4 drive ratchet...I do remember that in the 4 trans services that I've done all the pan bolts were not very tight.

Also...I disconnect the cooler lines at the rear and carefully apply just enough air pressure to force the old fluid out of the cooler in the base of the radiator and those lines.

Adding a pan-plug is a good idea.

In this picture you'll see the access hole to the torque converter, there should be a rubber plug covering that opening.

And...here you see the 1/8 pipe plug in the torque converter that would be removed to drain the fluid out of the converter

VanDownByTheRiver
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Re: Transmission Service....

Post by VanDownByTheRiver »

I thought I needed a new transmission (E4OD, '94 460) due to shuttering / jerking / bucking but this stuff reduced the jerking by about 80%! Seriously amazed me. I got it at NAPA, and just poured it down the dipstick tube in the middle of my trip from AL to NY.

Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/99257 ... utter.html

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-230/Dr.+Tra ... udder+Fixx
'94 B190 w/ 460