INSANE LOUD HUMMING NOISE

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Re: INSANE LOUD HUMMING NOISE

Post by Wakeslayer »

OK. I am going crazy here. I have my van back at the shop to get the IAC valve installed. Now they tell me it is a motor, not a valve. And they could not find it on the motor. Is this that complicated? Says he has the motor on order and will install it tomorrow...

footnote from earlier post. When we took the van out two weekends ago, I did have the insane loud humming noise again and it was not that warm out. Temp in the low 70's...
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Wakeslayer wrote:OK. I am going crazy here. I have my van back at the shop to get the IAC valve installed. Now they tell me it is a motor, not a valve. And they could not find it on the motor. Is this that complicated? Says he has the motor on order and will install it tomorrow...

footnote from earlier post. When we took the van out two weekends ago, I did have the insane loud humming noise again and it was not that warm out. Temp in the low 70's...

I am not all that savy with ALL YEARS and Models. BUT mine is a valve just to left of the intake looking from under the hood. It is approxamatly 3 square inches of a part... It has two screws like 5/16 and a hose on it. That hose goes to the air box If I remember correctly. Mine is a 1994 460. Obviously I am not there to see or hear your exact issue. So its all just a guessing game and experiance from my own deal. I dont think temp is an absolute, its a mechanical valve and will do what it wants when it wants/LOL
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by Wakeslayer »

Got the Bus back from the shop. It definitely runs better. Especially at idle.
It was an IAC motor, not a valve on ours.. Our rig is a 94, but the actual Ford chassis is a 92. Anyway, I will wait to see if the insane loud hum comes back at some point. He did all this for the cost of the part $122 as he owed me a couple hours labor. He changed the thermostat out and inspected all my hoses. Found several loose clamps and I was losing AF at the stat housing too.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Wierd on the IAC "motor". Mine also says 92 on the doors/chassis, etc. BUT its still a 94 and my motor has the 94 engine. The EFI heads are different from earlier 460 motors. The bodys are the same and they most likely just used what they had for that era/body style.. Whatever you have- it does not matter as long as the noise is gone. Enjoy the silence...
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

In GMs I think they call it a "idle control motor" or something like that, so if the shop was more familiar with GMs than Fords, that may be the reason they said that.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Your correct Idle Air Control and it is an Encoder motor. It adjusts the idle in EFI motors... And it is a different animal from the valve I have that hums. Thanks that triggered my thinking and cleareing that up!!