INSANE LOUD HUMMING NOISE

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
Denco
Weekend Camper

INSANE LOUD HUMMING NOISE

Post by Denco »

LOL my van hums so loud at stop signs and driving slow in parking lots people NOW- instead of checking out our cool RV People look to see what pile of junk is rolling through the area!!

This was driving me nuts and VERY embarrassing, so we parked it until I had time to find the source of the noise.

Well I found time and when the noise started I jumped out- popped the hood and when I put my hand on the air box it was vibrating bad and you can actually see it vibrate.

The issue is the IAC valve so I have been told by my EX Ford Dealer Mechanic Friend.

I googled it and that seems to be a common issue.

Now I just have to find it on the motor- I have read its a 25 buck part. NICE!!

Some say cleaning it may help but I will just replace it.

Denco
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: INSANE LOUD HUMMING NOISE

Post by Planck »

I also have an occasionaly noise IAC. You may have to pull the inside engine cover off to replace it. I think they run more like $75. If I flick the gas pedal it stops. On my list of to dos some day.
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Planck wrote:I also have an occasionaly noise IAC. You may have to pull the inside engine cover off to replace it. I think they run more like $75. If I flick the gas pedal it stops. On my list of to dos some day.

Thanks for the input, mine has gone beyond a tap now.. yep 44 bucks at one parts store but 79 every place else, prolly plastic body on the 44 bucker.. I pulled mine and cleaned it, it was not all that dirty and maybe made a little diff but still blows the trumpet at stops...
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Manual says this can also be caused by vacuum leaks. Were you able to pull it from under the hood?
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Planck wrote:Manual says this can also be caused by vacuum leaks. Were you able to pull it from under the hood?

Yep I reached in from uder the hood. two 5/16 screws one at approx 9:00 and one at 3:00. IAC is just a tad off center to the left on the throttle body. I used a stethescope (sp)
to listen and it was the culprit for sure. It may act like a vacuum leak when it fails to close/seal... Just crazy how the harmonics on this tiny item can sing and vibrate so much.

But our air box is shaped like a horn, silly little air box intake horn for such a big motor!!
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by Wakeslayer »

I believe I have this same issue. It was intermittent on our first trip. Having a tune up and other stuff done next week that require the doghouse coming off. May as well get it done.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

I have my bus at the shop at the moment. The mechanic going through it is replacing the IAC valve since it is cheap and he already has the doghouse off. he did find a big slice in one of the vacuum lines. He believes that this is the possible cause to the insane humming noise, and hopefully also to the rough initial running problem, and possibly my weird shifting pattern.

Will report back after I drive it.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Wakeslayer wrote:I have my bus at the shop at the moment. The mechanic going through it is replacing the IAC valve since it is cheap and he already has the doghouse off. he did find a big slice in one of the vacuum lines. He believes that this is the possible cause to the insane humming noise, and hopefully also to the rough initial running problem, and possibly my weird shifting pattern.

Will report back after I drive it.

Well thats good news, I did not replace mine as yet. I did take it apart and clean it. It was not dirty.. It still hums now and then. Mine was not all that cheap, they make two- one was like 40 bucks and mine was more like 90. in reality I guess thats cheap. The 40 dollar one was for another eng model anyway come to find out. I do see the factory one is metal and the aftermarket one I SAW, was plastic :(

Good thing you found some other issues, that should all help keep your 460 running like a top. I have ALWAYS been a Chevy Guy, but that 460 is trully an awesome motor.
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

Just got a call from the mechanic. It is not the IAC. It is a breather hose of some sort that has, as he described it "some sort of balls in it" He said the part is $200+ and recommended not replacing it. I may later this fall. Not sure.
Picking it up tonight. Hope it runs and shifts better...
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

Well, upon further review, this mechanic is a bit of a clown, and was way too busy while i had my van there. He claimed there was no insanely loud humming noise, and what he could hear was something else. When I picked it up, I instantly had the noise. Got him to come outside and magically he heard it now... I will be taking the van back and using some courtesy credit he is giving me to get it replaced for very little...

Mike
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

if in fact it is that valve its an easy swap and you dont even need to remove the dog house. Open the hood remove the Air box and thats it --I know this for fact because I did it.

Like i said tho I did not replace mine i cleaned it and put it back on. all throught the hood. two bolts and its off. Mine is intermitient and yours maybe as well.

Ambieant ttemp seems to affect mine. Winter it seems dormant, but 85 plus days and it plays like a trumpet off and on..

Should be less than 150 total, 80- 90 for the valve and a half hour labor. 1hr if he he has a broken arm.. All IMHO tho...
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

MP3 Player....turn up the volume...?
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

I think the part is like $55. I may do it myself and get him to do something else. He said he would gratis me some work for jacking me around. I may do as you did and just clean it.
I did notice that it is the trumpet when it is hotter than hell out. It will be cool over this weekend's excursion, so I will pay attention.

Thanks.

And yes, just turn up the music!!! Totally appropriate as we are headed to a 3 day music festival with our daughter and doggie.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Just keep in mind cleaning mine with carb spray did NOT help, it was NOT all gummed up, it was pretty clean to begin with. Also there is a gasket, so if you remove it the gasket may get damaged. MINE DID NOT and went back on, yours may not- keep that in mind so your not suprised..... Easy gasket to make from sheet material worse case....

BUT they can get dirty so it was worth my shot....

Good luck and enjoy your trip,

Denis
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks Denis...you're being a good member /contributor....