A sad goodbye

Forum announcements
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

A sad goodbye

Post by Minniemouse »

We planned for years to take the big trip...to see the USA in our 1993 B190. We left our home in North Carolina on Monday 5-18-2015. On Tuesday 5-19-2015 we were on Interstate 85, 40 miles south of Atlanta on our way southwest. The 6 lane highway was full of traffic, mostly big rig trucks, all traveling faster than the 70mph speed limit. I had just started my turn driving, keeping the van at 65mph. Suddenly the van began to sway back and forth, then in seconds I lost control of the vehicle, it fell over on the driver's side, and slid down the highway over all three southbound lanes. Only a miracle of God prevented our being hit by another vehicle, or our hitting another car. The van came to a stop, with broken glass everywhere. Another motorist came to my aid by taking off his shirt, using it to cover my face, while he pulled much of the shattered glass out of the way so I could climb out through the windshield frame. My husband was bleeding from his nose, but was able to climb out of the camper through the side door. My left arm was covered with slivers of broken glass and bleeding.
The cause: a blown tire? The tires were in good condition with a lot of tread. My husband is meticulous with checking the air pressure etc.
The shock is that the insider of the camper was completely destroyed, and if a passenger had been sitting on the sofa with a seat belt, it is unlikely that a human would have survived. The seat is fine, but wood cabinet doors, the cabinets themselves, and the contents are everywhere. The water tank emptied on everything! Debris would have hit anyone sitting on the benches!
We saved as much as we could get into a rental car to return home. If anyone needs parts for a 1993 B190 let us know. We also have custom made insulated curtains & shades.
Minnie Mouse from Coastal Carolina
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: A sad goodbye

Post by skater »

Oh man... I'm so sorry! I'm glad you two are okay!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Thanks for posting your experience, and I am thankful you both were not more seriously injured. This is a scary story. I have experienced 3 tire blowouts on 2 B190s. Both occurred after recent purchase on tires that looked decent, but were too old. Fortunately all were the rear tires. I assume yours was a front tire. If possible, please try to get the date code off of the tire that blew, or others if they were all the same. Also, can you confirm front or rear tire, and what pressure they were set?

The detachment of interior cabinetry is really concerning, but not surprising, as it is heavy material.

Phil Planck - 1993 B190
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Post by lido14co »

Glad you made it through a terrible ordeal. Sorry for the loss of your rig.

Cliff
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

Wow! So glad that no one was seriously injured! Thank you for reporting the full details of the accident. Its so helpful for us to be able to learn from others experiences.

I'm sorry for such an abrupt ending to a great sounding vacation!
1993 Airstream B190
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Certainly like to know if a tire failure caused or contributed to this unfortunate incident...

Does the rig have any blown tires....??

Date Codes on all your tires would be nice to know...?
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

I'm not saying this is what happened in this particular case, but this seems like a great time to remind everyone what to do if you have a blowout. This video, from Michelin, explains it well.

How to Handle a Tire Blowout in Your RV

Short version: Accelerate, believe it or not. The video explains why.

VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Very sorry to hear of the news and so glad neither of you were hurt. It is a reminder of our top heavy vans--they do create their own hazard. Phew, certainly reminds me to take it easy, check tires, and, in the end, a profound reminder that none of us has ultimate control. A very scary story, but thank you for sharing it.
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Also, Skater, thank you for the video link. I learned.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Telling me it was a rear tire that blew.....

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Another view:

Minniemouse
Weekend Camper

Post by Minniemouse »

It was a BACK tire, not the front. Thanks for the info on blowouts and what to do...I did read an article like that the day after the incident. Unfortunately I had NO control over the vehicle. Suddenly it began to sway from the top, from right to left, and back...the second sway was much bigger..the entire van then turned to the right,& fell over onto the highway, and kept sliding until it came to a stop. Truthfully I have no idea if I ever tried breaking! If I did, that may be why the van turned to the right, as the brakes would only be in effect on one side.
The van fell to the drivers side, the blown tire was on the passenger side in the back. The weight of the oak cabinets is an issue. The frames, back and tops are much thinner wood, that could not hold them into place. The cabinets around & above the frig did not come apart. Our year model had the frig next to the sink, with the microwave above it. The frame around the frig and microwave is intact, but the microwave came off it's bolts, and shot out onto the stove on the other side. the frig stayed in place, but the door came off along with all of the contents falling out and making a HUGE mess, of food and a one broken glass jar.
The most protected place was the drawer under the sofa., where I had stored my lap top. There is a metal frame around the sofa. The drawer stayed under the sofa, because the van fell that direction. I do feel that the bubble top frame saved my life. When the van fell over, the top is what hit the highway, first, not the driver's door. You can see by the photos that the bunk area had the most damage, even though we had no front impact.
I am interested in more info from the member who wrote that he had 2 blow outs in the past. How fast were you driving? Maybe it was the speed of an interstate highway at 65mph?
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

It was us that had two(actually 3) blowouts on the rear. The first was in our 91 going about 55 on a highway. Left rear. Just went bang and tore off part of the fiberglass running board molding around the wheel opening. The 2nd was as we were driving our 93 home from the dealer on I75 in Ohio. Doing 65 mph. This time right rear. Dealer had just put air in the tires, but they were old. I had considered asking them to switch the ones off of our 91 as I knew they were not too old. Put the spare on and it also blew going much slower just trying to make it to the next exit ramp. I think it blew due to too low a pressure. None of these blowouts caused a steering or swaying issue, so that is a mystery.

I would be interested in that awning if it survived. I forgot to crank ours up last month leaving a campground.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

RV tires tend to fail as a result of age, rather than wear. We had a blowout on our trailer on our second trip with it, and we had to put on the spare along a four lane interstate highway (fun). The tires turned out to be 8 years old, but we understood (from the seller) they were 3 years old, and I didn't check the date codes, even though I know better. The manufacturers recommend replacement after 5 or 6 years, regardless of tread.

And, even a well maintained tire with plenty of life left in it will sometimes fail. It's rare but it does happen. I know a guy that had a one-day-old tire fail on his car.

Minniemouse
Weekend Camper

Post by Minniemouse »

In response to the info on the tires, as well as someone interested in the awning.
The accident happened in GA, close to the Alabama state line. We are back at home, on the coast of North Carolina. The camper is now in the hands of Allstate Insurance Company. We have no way of getting the date codes on the tires, as we never looked at them. We can ask the Allstate rep if parts would be available.
We do have at home: The table and pedestal, the bunk ladder, and the owners repair and maintenance manual.
Thank you, for so many kinds words.