1994 B190 Currently in Florida but heading to COLO

Come in and introduce yourself!
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

1994 B190 Currently in Florida but heading to COLO

Post by jb1rd73 »

I have made a couple of other posts and figure I should formally introduce myself. I got the B190 bug (obsession) over in the Expedition Portal forum when I was working on converting a 2006 Sprinter to a Stealth camper and stumbled upon Keystones lifted and 4x4 converted B190. As it happened the Sprinter was a rusty nightmare and the decision was made to sell it and search for the right B190 that was almost 6 months ago, last Thursday I drove my 2006 Mini Cooper up to NJ and swapped keys with a cool family for a 94 B190 with 69k on the clock. People think I am crazy when I tell them I traded my Mini for a 20 year old "van", I just smile. I know I got what I wanted and so did they and that is priceless!!! The 1100 mile trip home was a little nerve racking as I did not check the air pressure in the tires until I was 500 miles deep, doooh! Drove much better with 75-80 pounds than the 35-40 :) Then there was the mysterious "hiccup" at cruising speed there was an ever so slight surge or hiccup, like a fuel delivery problem, HEET was suggested as it had been sitting for 8 months, didn't do anything. So onward we drove, 35 miles from home I was on the phone with a friend and he suggested I dump Sea Foam in the tank, 5 minutes later no hiccup. I have not driven it since I pulled in the driveway but hope that the good fortune continues. So for now his name is Henry, or Henry the Hiccuping Hippo! Once the 4x4 conversion is complete he will be more of a Rhino and a rechristening may be in order. So far everything works, I need to hook up the house battery that was relocated to compartment under the sofa, not sure why, I think I would like it back in the engine bay or even mounted on the frame rail but that is far down on the worry list. Right now I am on the hunt for Dana 60 axles to get started with the Ujoint 4x4 lift and conversion, will be adding the Firestone air bags in the rear per Keystones recommendation and will be adding solar and Aluminess bumpers. I need to figure out a kayak solution and think I will go vertical mount off the rear bumper. (these are much shorter white water river kayaks) but also need to carry stand up paddle boards and regular surfboards. I ripped out the shower and am relocating the toilet to its location and running a "shower box" in the PS cabinet for an outdoor shower, I just feel better keeping it out of the rig, as I am not the most careful. After seeing FoCo's interior and a previous hankering for the reclining Sienna seats those are on the priority list also, the Airstream ones are less than desirable or comfortable. This fall/winter the head liner will come out and windows resealed and top gel coated with marine grade finish. A long and ambitious list I know but I like to dive in head long :) Thanks for the wonderful site and all of the amazing info, I seem to gravitate toward the quirky side of life, VW's, Sprinters,Airstreams, etc etc and without fail meet the coolest people. We will be leaving Florida as soon as our house sells so major projects will be on hold until we are back in Colorado and then all hell will break lose I am sure, or he will at least get torn apart. Going to shake it down this coming week in the Ocala National Forest.
Cheers,
Jason JB1rd Lightfoot
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: 1994 B190 Currently in Florida but heading to COLO

Post by Reddeer »

Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of helpful posts and folks here, and they have helped me in my first 18 months of ownership.

Have fun with your rig. The first year is the hardest, getting weak links sorted out, but after that the miles start to pile up.