Newbie to B190!

Come in and introduce yourself!
Ktst0204
New User
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Newbie to B190!

Post by Ktst0204 »

We just sold our 30ft travel trailer and got a 94 B190!!! We are beyond excited and I can NOT wait to hit the road in "Baby A". My husband and I are taking off and introducing our toddler to nature!

In August we will also be taking a road trip from New Hampshire to, my home state, Texas. Anyone want to give us tips for camping in our B190 or top places to see along the way?? Maybe you can tell us what your favorite features or upgrades to the camper have been, and what has given you an "issue".

Thanks ya'll~
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Newbie to B190!

Post by Tucsonan »

Welcome, from a native Texan that now resides in Arizona. Enjoy your rig!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on your purchase!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Welcome, I just bought a 94 also[THUMBS UP SIGN] Make sure you have good shocks and struts, the consensus seems to be Bilsteins. Don't get to excited about the fridge, have a good cooler, like a Yeti for real food storage, but that is just my opinion based off my so far finicky fridge. So many things to see depending on your route. Post a rough idea and I am sure there are plenty of suggestions from this group. Might want to cruise around the Expedition Portal Forum too, lots of knowledge over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ktst0204
New User

Post by Ktst0204 »

Thanks ya'll!!! Im super excited!!!

One more question: Does anyone have stabilizer jacks installed or use them? If so, is there a certain one you recommend or don't? Our campers have always had them on it, or had automatic stabilizers..

FRIDGE: Has been replaced by previous owner, we will be replacing again. They installed a dorm unit so it doesn't work off of the generator or battery. I think Norcold is what we are going with. Unless anyone has a better suggestion. The fan exhaust in the "bathroom" is recently replaced. Before we took possession of her, she had a totally mechanically run through, everything was checked and fluids were replaced, we got really lucky as the previous owners were VERY meticulous and took very good care of "baby A". All records for everything done to it have been kept. She is ready for the road, just waiting for memories to be made.

She does have the "stutter", we have seen few people post about that, the mechanics can't figure that out, but my husband has a friend that is 99.9% he knows what it is (he is a HUGE ford enthusiast and works not them often). For a afternoon of BBQ and beer, it will be fixed.

Road trip: Im planning on starting from Portmouth Nh (were we are stationed) and heading to Gettysburg PA, down to VA to do a drive through Safari for my daughter, staying at an old mining "campsite" You can tour and dig in the old mine shafts for gems. Then headed down to Pigeon TN, to check out Wonderworks (if you have kids or grandchildren, check this place out.. its AWESOME) Then over to Music Row, and Memphis, though Little Rock and down to my hometown TEXARKANA TEXAS.

Hopefully my dad doesn't steal my camper, he saw it looked a little jealous. :-)

Hope to get more tips and advice... Thanks in advance.
URStruly
Weekend Camper

Post by URStruly »

Hi
Welcome to the site. I don't use stabilizer jacks. The unit is pretty stable. Have some 2x6 plank blocks to level the unit if necessary.
If your friend is successful with the stuttering cure please post as this seems to be a prevalent problem with our B190s.URS
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

They don't have stabilizer jacks. They move a bit, but not much more than our trailer does with the jacks down. The tires are at the corners, not in the middle like a trailer, so you don't have that lever like you do on a trailer. I suppose you could put jacks under the frame on it, but we never found it necessary.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Sounds like a great route and a lot to see. And a plus 1 for URS comment about the stutter fix, I am currently trying to track mine down as well :evil: Not a big fan of "throwing" money at maybes!!!
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

If you get any further into Texas there are some great Texas state park campgrounds. Inexpensive, good facilities, and beautiful locations. New shocks and anti sway bar will really help on the highways. I've disconnected the button on the side entrance door so the front door lights don't come on so we can leave the side doors open when camping. Put your fridge on 12V when you're driving for the day then switch to 120 or LP gas at camp. Sounds like a great trip.

Cliff
MarkMark
New User
B190 Year: 1997

Post by MarkMark »

Hi Newbie, I've been inactive in the B190 enthusiasts for a few years, and sadly the only reason I'm in again is that I'm selling my B190. We've really, really enjoyed it. We towed a Jeep Liberty behind it most of the time, but then our last long trip was from Iowa to Maine, then to New York, without the Jeep. (We went in the Holland Tunnel, but I don't think we were supposed to), You can travel anywhere a van can go, and park in most parking lots.

My suggestion to you on camping, buy a camping guide like Woodalls, or join Good Sam or Escapee's, or do what we do, use our phones or tablets. Unless you are time constrained, my biggest suggestion is to go to an area you think you'll like and search when there. County parks and state parks are usually on state maps. We drove all over the U.S. and loved the freedom the B190 gave us to freelance our experience. Enjoy