Come in and introduce yourself!
Millennium Falcon
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

My first Class B 190

Post by Millennium Falcon »

Hello,

Been a member for a couple weeks now, and thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself while the camper is in the shop (getting the split window rubber replaced). Got the camper almost 4 weeks ago, and taking care of the major issues, so we can take her out on her first camping trip. She's a Ford Falcon 190 made by Intervec, which is now Phoenix, so she's not an Airstream.

A couple weeks ago I drove it from Illinois to Massachusetts without any issues. There are some fairly major things that need to be done though. There's a leaky fan unit above the bunk, and it's kinda sagging as well, so water pools there if it rains. Not soft, it's just that the wood/fiberglass support beam was cut through when the fan was installed...and someone probably stood on that spot, causing it to sag...real smart. Jacking it up into place with a couple car jacks, while I reinforce it, should take care of that. Then the roof...algae needs to be removed, re-coated, then eternabonded around vents and fans. Also pulled up the carpet and laying wood laminate. Already pulled all the wood in the bunk area out through the side windows ,and replaced it with new wood. Was all rotted out from the leaky split windows and fan. Luckly all the water was draining to a little basin like area that was all fiberglass, and didn't get into the cab area at all. And next year I plan on getting new struts (looks like it still has the originals) as well as a rear sway bar.

Well, that's all for now. I plan on posting some pictures of the work that was/is going to be done. Wish I took some pics of the rotted wood in the bunk before I replaced it...was real nasty.

Jim
1991 Intervec Ford Falcon 190TBF
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: My first Class B 190

Post by Kentuckian »

Welcome to B190.com. Hope you enjoy you new FF190. Keep us posted on your refurbishment projects.
1993 Airstream B190
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Welcome to the forum! Good luck! Leaks get old fast, and they're really hard on the interior, so it's good to take care of that. We ended up taking ours to a shop and they stripped and resealed everything on the roof for only a couple hundred dollars. I could only wonder why I hadn't done it long before I actually did...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

I'm new to the Class B crowd too so I was not familiar with the Intervec Falcon until I saw your post. Looks like it's very similar to the Airstream so lots of information here will cross-over to your rig. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

Welcome to the forum. I am also in New England--if you find good campgrounds that are not too noisy let us know. :)
Millennium Falcon
Weekend Camper

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

So finally picked up the camper the day before we had to leave for vacation. Was in the glass repair shop for the past two weeks. They were able to track down a 1/8 x 1/8 gasket. Unfortunately, they cracked one of the plexiglass windows while putting it in. Guess it was a little brittle from age. So I bought some acrylic adhesive to repair it, as they only covered it with silicone.

Next is fixing the minor vent leak and bracing up the loft roof.
Millennium Falcon
Weekend Camper

So, finally was able to finish up the vent and saggy roof rot damage last week. Among some other minor things.

As you can see in the pictures there was quite a bit of mold and rot, in both the particle board bracing and hardboard. So had to pull it all and replace it. Was able to replace the hardboard with a coated water resistant type, as well as replacing the rotted particle board with some stronger treated wood. Also replaced the vent and used butyl and eternabond to seal it. Actually just bought a new vent without the fan, and took the wiring and motor from the old one and put it in the new one...about $250 cheaper that way. Just had to modify the new one a bit to make it all work. Also scraped all the lichen off the roof and scrubbed it with some Crystal Kleer. Debating on whether I should coat it with some elastomeric Kool Seal. Anyone here do that on their class B, or heard of someone using it on a class B/fiberglass?
processpics.jpg
processpics.jpg (255.54 KiB) Viewed 14363 times
camper.jpg
camper.jpg (254.15 KiB) Viewed 14363 times
Started work on redoing the floors last weekend. As soon as I'm done I'll also upload some pics of that as well!
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

Wow! Came out great--like new! Nice work, and congratulations on your progress. Looking forward to seeing your next projects.
Keystone
B190 4x4
Millennium Falcon
Weekend Camper

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out. Wasn't sure I'd be able to pull it off since it was my first time doing anything like that. But it was easier than I thought it would be, just took a little time.

Forgot to mention one tool that has come in very handy, an eraser wheel. Works great on getting off old silicone or two way tape on door seals. Tried removing that stuff using elbow grease and an array of chemicals...too much work for not much in return. So did a little research and came across a thread where someone mentioned the eraser wheel. Got one on amazon for like half the price you' pay at an autozone. Just be careful using it on plexiglass, it'll cut into it.
Millennium Falcon
Weekend Camper

And the floors. Ripped up the nasty carpet and replaced with some left over pieces of fake wood flooring, with trim. Also pulled what they call the nightstand that was screwed to the floor, with a warped piece of chipboard that supported part of the bed. Made it hard to get in and out through the rear. Took it, chopped it in half, and replaced the top with some solid hardwood. Much lighter now. Also in the process of redoing the table with the same wood.
process_floor.jpg
process_floor.jpg (254.81 KiB) Viewed 14247 times
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

Your fixes/upgrades look great! That's one nice looking camper. I love the seating arrangement - it looks like those are twin beds.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Millennium Falcon
Weekend Camper

Hey, thanks! Every time I take it out for a drive something pops up. Last time it was the driver side window motor. Before that it was the alternator and regulator. Luckily they were fairly easy fixes and I did them myself. I guess It's better that they happen now than on a road/camping trip. But overall it's in great shape.

The bench seats in the back turn into a full bed that sleeps two comfortably...with plenty of elbow and leg room. The night stand thingy with the drawer folds out with the table top to connect the benches, and then the back pads go on top of that to close the gap. But with the bathroom being in the middle, as opposed to the back, you sacrifice a little space there. I guess it comes down to which one you'd rather be most comfortable in, haha.