New to the site

Come in and introduce yourself!
myflatire
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

New to the site

Post by myflatire »

Wow! Being a newbie is sure fun. Ive been a member since April 10, I think, and I just found out how to post :rofl: So, I am Dave and my wife of 53 years, is Ginny. We live in Yuma, AZ. We have owned a motorhome, fifth wheel, pull trailer...and they are gone. We found a beautiful '95 190, purchased it and are now very seriously planning to drive it to Alaska....a long time wish. Our 190 is just like new except for the 50,000 miles on it. We dont think the previous owners ever stayed overnite nor cooked in it. All is pristine! Only one outside blemish is the heavy plastic strip has gotten too hot in the sun and has broken in pieces. Looked badly so I took it off to the corners and put, so far, blue painters tape on the joint. You cant see it from your house.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: New to the site

Post by skater »

Nope, I can't see it! :) Welcome to the site!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Welcome Dave

You will find a wealth info here to help you out with B190 issues and improvements.

Find out how old your tires are, and replace them if over 5 or 6 years(and the spare). Check differential oil. Have trans shop check trans and trans cooling system.
Check front brake pads and rotors, also calipers. Calipers can develop problems from lack of use. They are fairly inexpensive to replace. I did this on our 93, even though they seemed to work okay, as I experienced a caliper lock up on our 91 on a long trip and had to have it replaced en route.

Oh, and have the alternator tested. I have had 2 fail with no warning that I recognized. I posted elsewhere that possibly a low house battery put too much load on the alternator, so make sure it is fully charged before leaving. The on board charger upgrade posted elsewhere is very worthwhile and a pretty easy DIY project.

The multifunction stalk for turn signals, wipers, etc. can become problematic. There is a good youtube video showing how to fix this, or prevent it from happening.
We replaced the radio with a bluetooth one which is nice if you have a smartphone. Again, good sources of info on how to do this.

Pick up 2 sets of belts for the engine and have one set installed. Good chance your 20 year old belts have developed some cracks.

Have ball joint rubber seals checked. They deteriorate with age and then the grease dries out. There is no grease zerk on the original ball joints. I had mine replaced with "serviceable" joints, meaning they have grease zerks.

Go to Mobil 1 or other synthetic engine oil. You can go 10,000 miles between oil and filter changes, and get a little better mileage.

Good ;uck and enjoy the 190.
myflatire
B190 Year: 1995

Post by myflatire »

Thank you Planc for all the info. I believe I will do most of them before leaving or at least while we are at our sons home. thanks again!
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Hiya Dave...Dave here too

Perhaps that trademarked comment..."you can't see it from your house"..is related to our ex-dirtbag governor and her stupid comment about seeing Russia from her house during her second failed attempt at fame...which btw isn't possible unless ya live 1200 miles down the Aleutian Peninsula, and then only on a perfect day there, which never happens

Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

myflatire.....which btw, you don't want any of

Traveling to and around Alaska via RV requires good planning in advance

The biggest mistake I see regularly is that people do not budget enough time...its a long drive and its costly to get there and once ya get there people never realize how much there is to see and do...

Using the ferry is very very very expensive and ya don't see anything worthwhile if ya board in Bellingham headed north to Alaska...its a long boring 3-day ride to Haines

Get yourself a copy of The Milepost....

lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Thanks for the Milepost info. Just got back from an Alaska cruise and overland excursion to Denali. While going through Meadow Lake outside Wasilla I spotted a 90 or 91 brown B190 at a small used vehicle lot. I got more excited seeing that than seeing a moose! Planning a trip to Vancouver Island and then on up to Alaska in our 92 so the more info we have the better.

Cliff
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

oh....that brown rig came from one of our ole members, Clint, from Oak Harbor Washington

There are additional pictures of it in the Albums here...