New B190 owner in Atlanta

Come in and introduce yourself!
MotoDad212
New User
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

New B190 owner in Atlanta

Post by MotoDad212 »

Hello to everyone. Purchased a 1999 V10 several weeks ago as our first ever RV and I'm honestly overwhelmed. Not certain where to begin as we have never owned a RV. Thus far I have put two new tires, new front brake calipers, new oil change and had two people look at the general health of the Chassis. It looks to have new ball joints, shocks and bushings. Front end is tight from what they all say. It does drive nicely and no issues. My questions now are as I move into how to use the RV appliances and or if everything works. It looks as though the generator had been converted to Gas as there is a separate fuel tank. I'm assuming the fuel is old as the previous owners never ran it and I can not get it started. Any advice on what to do and what not to do would be greatly appreciated. The people I purchased it from knew nothing about it, had it for a few months and never used it although they had dreams of doing so. Now that I have it I'm afraid we might be falling into the same scenario of asking myself do we actually have time to use this and learn about how to use it.

Thanks for all the wonderful posting I've read as it did help me choose to go with Michelin tires :D
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: New B190 owner in Atlanta

Post by skater »

First, congratulations on your B190!

Check out the sticky posts in the Basic Questions forums, because a lot of your questions about how the camper works will be answered there. Short version: Most things (lights, fans) run on 12 volts DC, like a car, not 120 volts AC like a house. The air conditioner and microwave are 120 volt only. The 12 volt DC is supplied by a battery under the hood, or by a converter that takes the 120v AC and converts it to 12v DC.

You may need to get the propane tank filled; most shops that sell propane can do it. In the 1999s, I think the tank is under the step to the side door. Propane operates the oven, water heater, and the fridge (the fridge will also run on electricity).

For your first trip, I'd suggest going to a campground with electric, water, and sewer hookups. That way you won't need the generator or water pump or tank, nor will you need to get the generator started. I'd recommend putting the stuff that you'll think you'll need in the camper (pots, pans, clothes, silverware, dishes, food, etc.) and camping near home for your first trip so you can figure out what you need that you forgot.

For the generator, there can be a whole list of things wrong with it. Odd that it has a separate tank - the B190s usually came with a gasoline-fueled generator that ran off the gas tank for the camper. Or did you mean propane? So, first, let's figure out what fuel it uses then go from there.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
MotoDad212
New User
B190 Year: 1999

Post by MotoDad212 »

Thank you very much for the quick reply regarding the sticky posts and welcoming. We purchased the RV due to my son's Motocross racing habit he has. We've spent many nights in a hotel over the past two years and was a little jealous of those around us with full Toy Hauler rigs and or some of these Class A and C's I'm amazed at the amount of money sitting in a grassy or muddy field any given weekend. Hence the need or desire for the generator most of these tracks don't have RV Hookups.

The first thing I've noticed is the breaker for the LP alarm was switched off. Switching it back on I noticed it must be well beyond replacement dates as it just keeps beeping like a dying bird on its last breath. I've ordered a new one. The Generator must have originally been a Propane feed or at some point someone decided they didn't like using the main fuel tank. I'd much rather have it set up that way as keeping fresh fuel is hard enough let alone with a separate tank just for the generator.

Thanks for the quick tip on what is ran by battery and what needs generator. Do the power outlets need shore power or generator? Like the TV for instance. I have not been able to get it to turn on so I am going to take my cell phone charger the next time with me and plug it in to the power outlet to see if its the outlet or TV.

The previous owner knocked the Blackwater drain pipe off from under the vehicle. I've looked through the forums but couldn't find any pictures of the plumbing underneath the van. If anyone has something I would really appreciate it. Secondly can PVC from hardware store be used other than the valves? Sorry I have so many questions but I would love to make this work for my family as race weekends would be so much nicer having the available A/C and power outlets. Not to mention a TV during down time :) I'll take some pictures tonight and try to upload them.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Congratulations on your B190 purchase. This forum will answer most of your questions but the only way to really figure everything out is to use it. First off, get your black water pipe fixed and make sure you gray water fittings are tight. I believe the pipe is 3" ABS. I have a 92 and I think the setup is a bit different year to year. My advice would be to take your rug to an RV repair shop and have them fix it. Have them go through the van to see what needs to be fixed, then decide what you can fix yourself. You'll definitely want a generator tuneup (oil, plug, etc.) and they might be able to put your fuel source back to the main gas tank.
The power outlets need shore power or generator, just like the roof a/c unit and microwave.
Two reccomendations; put a rear sway bar on. There are several posts on the site. It took me about two hours and that plus new shocks made a world of driving difference. Next, pretend to camp at home, both with shore power and without. Check your refrigerator on all its settings, propane, electric,, and 12v (12 volt operates when the engine is running).
There's a lot of support here. Good luck and happy camping!

Cliff