Stripe removal and prep for gel coat refurb

Maintenance of the body of the camper
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Stripe removal and prep for gel coat refurb

Post by jb1rd73 »

Here is the progress I have made in removing my lower stripes and a test patch of the upper stripe. Once they are off and the top has been refurbished and the body gone over with a good clay bar and buffing I will decide whether or not to try and have a graphic/wrap shop recreate the original airstream decals.

Side angle, it doesn't look too bad from a distance but the large middle stripe leaves a very distinct residue.
A little closer up side angle; you can see the residue stripe that is left right above the curvature of the body panel
Front is the same with the residue, you can see it very distinctly in this light and angle.
In progress:
In progress:
Top section test strip, this part looks like complete poo!!! Sure hope the gelcoat guys can fix it!!
So far I have used 1 complete 3M Stripe Off Wheel, the auto parts store wanted $46 for ONE!!! My buddy had one laying around that he gave me and it worked ok but I found a generic brand on Amazon for $14 a piece so ordered 2 and will wait to finish when they get here.

Sent by magic, I mean come on really, pictures through thin air, MAGIC!!!
Jermiah
B190 Year: 1992

Re: Stripe removal and prep for gel coat refurb

Post by Jermiah »

Just did the same on my 92! Going to try to wet sand the fiberglass next. I have used 1-1/2 3m wheels so far. Just have a little on the front left.
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

Noble work, thank you for the pics. I am sure many of us will want to know how this goes.
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by jb1rd73 »

Finished with preliminary stripe removal. Now off to the fiberglass guys to see if they can make her pretty again. (FWIW, I used 2 1/4 disks to get to this point)
ImageImage

Sent by magic, I mean come on really, pictures through thin air, MAGIC!!!