Cleaning and restoration

Maintenance of the body of the camper
airstreamer
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Cleaning and restoration

Post by airstreamer »

Hi all,

I have been working to spruce up my '92 rig as its showing its age, for the benefit of everyone, I found a site that has b190 decals, see http://www.odmrv.com in the parts section if you search for "decal" there are some familiar looking items that have helped me in doing this. If anyone has any similar sites for b190 specific items or parts, please let me know as I would be interested in checking them out.

Specifically I am looking for:
1. Replacement interior curtains and the little plastic holders that run in the interior tracks....over the years these have been systematically torn off by the kids :)
2. Replacement glass for the oven front, this too was taken out by the kids via poor bike storage lol.
3. Any recommendations for conversion kits or ideas to combine the separate toilet and shower into a toliet/shower combo unit...the stock shower as it stands is just to small/awkward for all but my 3 year old to fit
4. Any recommendations for keeping the fiberglass top looking less "grey", I have gone through the older posts here and am curious if anyone has any recent products that will safely whiten/protect the top or a combination of products/wax etc...

Thanks,
Shawn
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Re: Cleaning and restoration

Post by Choptop »

Under General Chat, "Buying it back", page 4, their is info on the curtain thangs.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

1. The curtain pieces are available from places like Amazon, eBay, or even Airstream restorers (vintagetrailersupply.com). Note, my B190 uses both styles for different curtains, and I'm not sure if they're swappable. I'd have to look to tell you which ones are which, though.
2. I'd get the model number and call Dometic. They might be able to supply one.
3. It's been done, but it's obviously kind of a pain to do. The "easiest" solution might be finding a wet bath from a wrecked one and installing it (note, still a lot of plumbing to do, especially since the drains are likely in different spots). We always used the campground showers for this reason.
4. A few people have had it recoated. I think if you search for gelcoat you'll find it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
okaynagan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Post by okaynagan »

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Sea ... h=t-slides for the curtain tabs.
My curtains were made 2 inches looser which allowed me to do away with the elastic and sew the t-slide directly to the curtain.
My curtains were made 2 inches looser which allowed me to do away with the elastic and sew the t-slide directly to the curtain.
curtain tabs.jpg (149.06 KiB) Viewed 6230 times
Sewing the tabs directly on the curtain makes for a better look; it is a bit of hand sewing. Used a uv resistant upholstery thread should you do this.
Last edited by okaynagan on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
airstreamer
B190 Year: 1992

Post by airstreamer »

Thanks everyone!! This is all very helpful feedback, looks like I have my work cut out for me ;)