List your B190 and related items here
Jaycat92
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

1996 B190 7.5l V8 56k mi - $14,500

Post by Jaycat92 »

*******SOLD*******SOLD*******SOLD*******

VIN 1FDJS34G5THA28403

$14,500 – 1996 B190 7.5L V8 with low miles (~56,400), and some recent upgrades (newer E-load Michelins, sway bars, MaxxFan, new bathroom vent fan, many LED lights, etc.).

Fortunately we are moving to Europe, but unfortunately we will have to sell our RV.

We have only owned it for a year and a half and have only been able to take one trip in it, the rest of time I worked on it and had a mechanic work some on it. It sat for a long time before we got it, so it needed some TLC and still needs some more (but if you have owned an RV, then you know there is always something to work on, and are willing to make some sacrifices in order to get something that sleeps four for less than $20k…the new version runs $150K and I don’t think sleeps four).

The tires have less than 1,000 miles on them and they are manufactured in 2012 (the nice Michelins too...including the spare, E-Load rated LT245\75R16).

I added sway bars front and back. Rides very well considering the size and height of it (and much better than it did without the sway bars). The 7.5 liter V8 engine (the one you want to have) runs smoothly and the transmission seems fine as well. Definitely something you should be able to pick up and drive back home.

LED lightbulbs in most fixtures (except the fluorescent strips).

The engine and coach (deep cycle) batteries are 1.5 years old.

New vent in the restroom (from the bottom to the top).

Changed out the locks (water and generator) to be cam locks with dust covers (not the generic key that everybody has).

New MaxxFan vent with smoke color hood (manual opening) but with the auto temp controls. The mechanic damaged the plastic shroud but fixed it, so it doesn't currently look new, but only from the roof...doesn't affect performance. Nice and quiet!

I can vouch for the heater working (I had to remove a mud wasp nest from it)...should really put one of those covers on the exhaust when it isn't being used to keep them from going into it.

I can also vouch for the propane stove working as well as the digital readout above the stove (though it does take some pressure on the button to get it to register a reading).

The refrigerator cooled to 40 degrees the other day when it was 90 out (using propane). Can’t vouch for the 12V, but the 120V seems to function the same.

The cab AC blows nice and cold and the coach AC blows cold as well (though I have only operated it on shore power, not on the generator).

I just ordered a new AC shroud for it since the old one is cracked, I will install the new one.

The classic failure of the side and rear doors to open has been fixed, so all doors open when the handle is pulled (shouldn’t have to worry about this again). I used the aluminum replacement kit and the mechanic did his version of a permanent repair on the ones I didn't do.

The mechanic just rebuilt the carb on the generator, but we are still troubleshooting it...as it isn't operating properly right now (seems like the carburetor gummed up again after cleaning it, and it will be cleaned again to get it running). Overall, it only has 64.1 hours on it, so once it gets up and running, it should last a while, just make sure to routinely run it to keep it operational.

The RV has a powered brake assist for towing (attached to the Reese hitch), has a CD changer installed behind the driver's seat, has an awning, has sunscreens that button onto the outside of the vehicle (extra privacy at night if you choose), and has the pop-up counter extension.

Work that it may or may not need to be done:

The RV seems to have lived its life in Texas (per the CarFax report registration information), so only a couple small spots of rust (like the armature that the spare tire sits on, and a small amount above the generator compartment). There are a couple half dollar sized dents above the passenger tail-light, and a few paint chips from road rocks. There are also a couple small bullseye marks in the window over the cab, but it is intact and doesn’t leak.

Upholstery. I have a quote of $800 to recover the couch/bed (replacing any bad foam), and replace the fabric down the center of the front seats (the sides of the front seats are leather?). Or, seat covers and a sheet will work if you don't want to fix it yet. I didn't want to get the upholstery done since you may want something different. When it sat before I purchased it, it leaked and damaged some of the wood "walls" and the ceiling, though I have taken care to make it weathertight, the minor damage may bother you. The upholsterer said he could upholster it (which would be a good time to upgrade the insulation), and possibly replace it with the same wood sheeting, but I didn't get a quote for that.

Plumbing - I never put water in it, and it doesn't look like the systems were ever used previously. The water heater lights up (but I turned it off quickly since I didn't have water in it). I didn't plan on getting off the grid at this point, so it wasn't a priority for me.

Fiberglass buffing and re-pinstriping...the fiberglass top has that characteristic powdery white chalking...it could use some UV inhibiting wax or something more permanent if you want to pay more. As for the pin striping, it is loose/flaked off in areas. You could go au-naturale and strip all of them, re-pinstriping would be an option to keep it looking airstream original, but any losses are small at this point, just not perfect. There is also some clear-coat loss on the fiberglass running boards (the brutal Texas sun).

There is also the intermittent ABS and airbag lights...known problems for these E-350s...but, I am OK with pumping the brakes instead of ABS. Like I said, they are intermittent...one is based on a spring behind the wheel, and the other may be a speed sensor on the wheels, fixable, but again, something I figured I could live without at this point.

It also does not have the table insert...has the receiver in the floor, but no pole and table. The carpeted floor is ok, but if I kept it, I would have switched to something easier to clean.

That about covers all of the faults of it, but they are mostly minor issues and can be overlooked (like I have been doing) or can be tackled as you see fit. The list of faults might intimidate a newcomer, but I suspect it won’t intimidate someone that has already had a B190. It certainly isn’t perfect, but it is a great deal when you compare it to the new ones!

If you have any questions or want any specific pictures, just let me know. The first $14,500 in cash or cashiers check takes it!
Attachments
IMG_7403.JPG
IMG_7403.JPG (105.81 KiB) Viewed 6806 times
IMG_7402.JPG
IMG_7402.JPG (124.63 KiB) Viewed 6806 times
IMG_7400.JPG
IMG_7400.JPG (120.84 KiB) Viewed 6806 times
Last edited by Jaycat92 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: 1996 B190 7.5l V8 56k mi - $14,500

Post by Tucsonan »

Very nice (and honest) description of your rig. I am currently tackling many of those issues on my '94. Enjoying it all the way! I hope yours finds a happy and capable home.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Jaycat92

Post by Jaycat92 »

Thanks! I might be honest to a fault...I suspect many other vehicles this age have similar issues but maybe don't get mentioned when trying to sell.

I drove it around today...runs well and handles much better with the sway bars...I highly recommend them!

Jayson
JimF

Post by JimF »

I'm very interested in your B190. I had been looking for awhile and then had some family issues to take of which took me out of the market. Where are you located? I'm in central Texas.
Thanks, Jim
Jaycat92

Post by Jaycat92 »

I am in San Antonio. Jayson
Jaycat92

Post by Jaycat92 »

SOLD*********SOLD***********SOLD*******
Jaycat92 wrote:VIN 1FDJS34G5THA28403

$14,500 – 1996 B190 7.5L V8 with low miles (~56,400), and some recent upgrades (newer E-load Michelins, sway bars, MaxxFan, new bathroom vent fan, many LED lights, etc.).

Fortunately we are moving to Europe, but unfortunately we will have to sell our RV.

We have only owned it for a year and a half and have only been able to take one trip in it, the rest of time I worked on it and had a mechanic work some on it. It sat for ad long time before we got it, so it needed some TLC and still needs some more (but if you have owned an RV, then you know there is always something to work on, and are willing to make some sacrifices in order to get something that sleeps four for less than $20k…the new version runs $150K and I don’t think sleeps four).

The tires have less than 1,000 miles on them and they are manufactured in 2012 (the nice Michelins too...including the spare, E-Load rated LT245\75R16).

I added sway bars front and back. Rides very well considering the size and height of it (and much better than it did without the sway bars). The 7.5 liter V8 engine (the one you want to have) runs smoothly and the transmission seems fine as well. Definitely something you should be able to pick up and drive back home.

LED lightbulbs in most fixtures (except the fluorescent strips).

The engine and coach (deep cycle) batteries are 1.5 years old.

New vent in the restroom (from the bottom to the top).

Changed out the locks (water and generator) to be cam locks with dust covers (not the generic key that everybody has).

New MaxxFan vent with smoke color hood (manual opening) but with the auto temp controls. The mechanic damaged the plastic shroud but fixed it, so it doesn't currently look new, but only from the roof...doesn't affect performance. Nice and quiet!

I can vouch for the heater working (I had to remove a mud wasp nest from it)...should really put one of those covers on the exhaust when it isn't being used to keep them from going into it.

I can also vouch for the propane stove working as well as the digital readout above the stove (though it does take some pressure on the button to get it to register a reading).

The refrigerator cooled to 40 degrees the other day when it was 90 out (using propane). Can’t vouch for the 12V, but the 120V seems to function the same.

The cab AC blows nice and cold and the coach AC blows cold as well (though I have only operated it on shore power, not on the generator).

I just ordered a new AC shroud for it since the old one is cracked, I will install the new one.

The classic failure of the side and rear doors to open has been fixed, so all doors open when the handle is pulled (shouldn’t have to worry about this again). I used the aluminum replacement kit and the mechanic did his version of a permanent repair on the ones I didn't do.

The mechanic just rebuilt the carb on the generator, but we are still troubleshooting it...as it isn't operating properly right now (seems like the carburetor gummed up again after cleaning it, and it will be cleaned again to get it running). Overall, it only has 64.1 hours on it, so once it gets up and running, it should last a while, just make sure to routinely run it to keep it operational.

The RV has a powered brake assist for towing (attached to the Reese hitch), has a CD changer installed behind the driver's seat, has an awning, has sunscreens that button onto the outside of the vehicle (extra privacy at night if you choose), and has the pop-up counter extension.

Work that it may or may not need to be done:

The RV seems to have lived its life in Texas (per the CarFax report registration information), so only a couple small spots of rust (like the armature that the spare tire sits on, and a small amount above the generator compartment). There are a couple half dollar sized dents above the passenger tail-light, and a few paint chips from road rocks. There are also a couple small bullseye marks in the window over the cab, but it is intact and doesn’t leak.

Upholstery. I have a quote of $800 to recover the couch/bed (replacing any bad foam), and replace the fabric down the center of the front seats (the sides of the front seats are leather?). Or, seat covers and a sheet will work if you don't want to fix it yet. I didn't want to get the upholstery done since you may want something different. When it sat before I purchased it, it leaked and damaged some of the wood "walls" and the ceiling, though I have taken care to make it weathertight, the minor damage may bother you. The upholsterer said he could upholster it (which would be a good time to upgrade the insulation), and possibly replace it with the same wood sheeting, but I didn't get a quote for that.

Plumbing - I never put water in it, and it doesn't look like the systems were ever used previously. The water heater lights up (but I turned it off quickly since I didn't have water in it). I didn't plan on getting off the grid at this point, so it wasn't a priority for me.

Fiberglass buffing and re-pinstriping...the fiberglass top has that characteristic powdery white chalking...it could use some UV inhibiting wax or something more permanent if you want to pay more. As for the pin striping, it is loose/flaked off in areas. You could go au-naturale and strip all of them, re-pinstriping would be an option to keep it looking airstream original, but any losses are small at this point, just not perfect. There is also some clear-coat loss on the fiberglass running boards (the brutal Texas sun).

There is also the intermittent ABS and airbag lights...known problems for these E-350s...but, I am OK with pumping the brakes instead of ABS. Like I said, they are intermittent...one is based on a spring behind the wheel, and the other may be a speed sensor on the wheels, fixable, but again, something I figured I could live without at this point.

It also does not have the table insert...has the receiver in the floor, but no pole and table. The carpeted floor is ok, but if I kept it, I would have switched to something easier to clean.

That about covers all of the faults of it, but they are mostly minor issues and can be overlooked (like I have been doing) or can be tackled as you see fit. The list of faults might intimidate a newcomer, but I suspect it won’t intimidate someone that has already had a B190. It certainly isn’t perfect, but it is a great deal when you compare it to the new ones!

If you have any questions or want any specific pictures, just let me know. The first $14,500 in cash or cashiers check takes it!