Furniture replacement vs. re-upholstery

Make it comfortable inside
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Furniture replacement vs. re-upholstery

Post by Tucsonan »

Well, I'm finally getting around to the captain's chairs and sofabed in my '94. Since upholstery shops are so pricey, I am considering buying all new pieces (Pricey also!)

I stumbled on a website, "Shop4Seats.com". Their prices seem the most reasonable.

If anyone has recently re-upholstered or replaced any furniture, and has recommendations or advice, it would be priceless!

I am also considering replacing the sofabed with a dinette/bed, if I can get one to fit. Opinions?

Thanks! Rick
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Furniture replacement vs. re-upholstery

Post by skater »

I haven't had anything reupholstered in years, so no help there. Like you I found that the captains chairs are pretty pricey.

Someone here did have a dinette instead of the couch. I don't think it was also a bed, though. Pictures were posted, I think - definitely search around for it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
FoCoKCCO
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 8008

Post by FoCoKCCO »

I have recently replaced my captain's chairs with a set that came from a new Toyota Sienna. I like them because they recline with a foot rest. They weren't cheap at $650 and some custom bracket work but I think they turned out great. I won't have pictures of them installed until next week because I'm out of town till next Wed. I'll post some when I return. I am also looking for either a replacement for the couch or recovering it. I was thinking of trying to modify a futon cover slightly to make it fit.

I hope this helped a little.

-Tony
Attachments
!B8mGtLgCWk~$(KGrHqIOKjYEynSViPR4BM3eyy6iIQ~~_3.jpg
!B8mGtLgCWk~$(KGrHqIOKjYEynSViPR4BM3eyy6iIQ~~_3.jpg (56.44 KiB) Viewed 17674 times
1993 B-190
Fort Collins, CO
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Thanks Skater,

I found the photos in the gallery and emailed Russ about them. It looks great!

Tony,
I found the same ad. It looks like the seller has quite a few more pairs. I hesitated because of the "custom" mounts that would be required. Funny that I live in the RV capitol (AZ) and I can't find a showroom for RV furniture?

Rick

Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Oops,

Regarding the dinette conversion, ...I accounted for the width of the inverter, but forgot the generator housing behind it. (really!?) So that answers my question for me. No dinette for my '94!

FoCoKCCO
Weekend Camper

Post by FoCoKCCO »

Just an update on the chairs I have installed. There's not enough room to recline the driver's seat but the passenger's seat is quite comfy. Next step I decided is to recover the couch to match the chairs.
Seats 2.JPG
Seats 2.JPG (161.68 KiB) Viewed 17579 times
Seats.JPG
Seats.JPG (162.37 KiB) Viewed 17579 times
1993 B-190
Fort Collins, CO
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Nice!, ...you did a great job. How do you like the built-in seatbelts? I went ahead and ordered some online. I will post some photos when they come in. I am seeing about getting the couch upholstered to match as well. Now I need to figure out how to post photos on this board!

FoCoKCCO
Weekend Camper

Post by FoCoKCCO »

The built in seat belts are pretty comfy. I like that they are lower on the shoulder and don't rub on the neck. The seats are a bit bigger so it's more difficult for me to crawl from the driver's seat to the rear.
1993 B-190
Fort Collins, CO
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

I removed the engine cover extension/drink holder from my '94 and am replacing the remaining "slot" with a map pocket. This makes "spinning" around to get to the back much easier. Not sure, but if you have room from removing the seatbelts, you may be able to position at least your passenger seat closer to the door (my seat base has a second "set" of mounting holes at the base on the floorboard)...unless it blocks the seat from rotating.

FoCoKCCO
Weekend Camper

Post by FoCoKCCO »

Thank you! Removing the cup holder was key. It took me a while to figure out how to remove it because I didn't find any screw heads. After finding the release lever it slid right out!
1993 B-190
Fort Collins, CO
kitemanks
Weekend Camper

Post by kitemanks »

I'm missing the front door on my 94 center console would love to have one if you guys aren't going to use yours anymore. In addition What type of mods were done to make them swivel and such? Did you use your stock set up and then bolt them to it?? My seats are going to need attention soon, the cabled levers are beginning to break down.
FoCoKCCO
Weekend Camper

Post by FoCoKCCO »

I don't think I'll be using the center console on mine and would be willing to part with it. I would need to make sure it's not damaged first.

When I switched out my seats I kept the same swivel mounts and sliders. I also reused the cable levers to swivel the seats on the new ones because they were still in good shape. When reusing the sliders I also extended the adjusting lever so I could reach it with the larger seats.

I can post more pictures in a couple weeks when I return to CO from ND.
1993 B-190
Fort Collins, CO
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

kitemanks wrote:I'm missing the front door on my 94 center console would love to have one if you guys aren't going to use yours anymore. In addition What type of mods were done to make them swivel and such? Did you use your stock set up and then bolt them to it?? My seats are going to need attention soon, the cabled levers are beginning to break down.
I will check mine, ...I took it off a while ago, and I believe it was missing it's door too. If it's intact, you can have it.

I went ahead and purchased some new seats online from "Shop4seats". I used the original "swivel" pedestals and motor unit from the van. I removed the electrical controls and cables from the old seat, and they are loose under the "skirt" right now. I may scratch build a new mount, but haven't decided yet.

FoCoKCCO
Weekend Camper

Post by FoCoKCCO »

I'm kinda bummed I just had my couch redone because I just found this on my local craigslist. If anyone in Colorado is looking for a replacement couch, here's a brand new option for only $50. Let me know if I can help a fellow B190 owner in anyway.
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/4443475833.html

-Tony
1993 B-190
Fort Collins, CO
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Eagle »

Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the existing couch? Mine has seen better days and I would like to replace it.