Refrigerator Compartment

Make it comfortable inside
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Refrigerator Compartment

Post by slapthecat »

I'm in the process of rebuilding my fridge compartment after a leak destroyed it.
It's a 1990 model

First question - does the wood shelf under the fridge sit on any rails, or is it resting directly on the wheel well?
The wood was pretty destroyed, so I have nothing to go on, but I don't see any holes in the side walls for supports the shelf would sit on. However, it seems like having the shelf rest directly on the wheel well would cause it to grind on the metal and the finish and the wood, etc...

Once I have the shelf installed, I'll build a new metal pan for the fridge to sit on. Then I need to seal that pan to the rest of the enclosure (for water protection as well as propane fumes). On this front, I have some aluminum duct tape that uses butyl rubber as its adhesive (and makes a water proof seal) - seems like this would be a very clean simple way of sealing the inside of the compartment. Any downsides to using the butyl rubber sealant here?!?
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Refrigerator Compartment

Post by Kentuckian »

On my '93 the wood shelf does not sit on the wheel wheel. It is secured to the side panels of the fridge cabinet above the wheel well. When I get to my B190. I'll see if I can get a photo for you.
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

Here is a photo from underneath the fridge. The shelf is secured to 3/4" wood strips on both sides of the Fridge cabinet. The height of the shelf is very close to the height of the wheel well. But the weight is supported by the wood strips. This view is taken from the aisle looking at the wall closest to the sink side of the Fridge.
Attachments
Fridge shelf.jpg
Fridge shelf.jpg (42.32 KiB) Viewed 6277 times
1993 Airstream B190
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

Excellent! Thanks for the picture.