Bedroom Rott / Renovation

Make it comfortable inside
Saprophyte
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

Bedroom Rott / Renovation

Post by Saprophyte »

Didn't notice when I bought my B190 that the side windows by the bunk bed had been leaking. They were bad, but they leaked inside the walls, so the damage was hidden. At first, I thought it was just leaking around the sliding glass pane, and I caulked that up. Repairing the water damage gave me a nice excuse to improve my insulation up there anyway.
I gutted the whole bed area and rebuilt it. I replaced the old pink fiberglass with a combination of 1/2" foil-faced polyiso foam boards, Roxul mineral wool batts (better thermal and acoustic insulator than fiberglass), and foil-faced flexible polyethylene foam. That flexible foam is great; I've also worked it in over the wheel wells in back. I plan to put that under the carpet in the cab eventually too. I got it from http://www.lobucrod.com/
ImageImage
Luckily, I had an apartment to live in. This was January in Massachusetts. During this process, I learned that the seal around the window frame was also bad. By then it was too cold to use caulk, so I covered the edges with tape until the spring.
I made new side panels of 1/4" hardwood ply, edged with black vinyl door edge trim from AutoZone. The headliner was (is) failing all on the whole van. For the bed, I turned the two ceiling panels upside down, and painted the side without glue a color I liked. I also used white foam underlayment to insulate the windows. That stuff is great because it let's light in, blocks heat transfer, gives privacy, and stops condensation. It's similar to this stuff:http://www.bestlaminate.com/standard-3m ... 7AodP0cAfA
ImageImage
In the spring, I took all the sliding windows off. I replaced all the plumbers-putty-like stuff they used originally to seal the window frames in with a nice thick bead of silicone caulking.
ImageImage
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Re: Bedroom Rott / Renovation

Post by nvestysly »

Wow, I sure hope I don't have that problem!

Thanks for the post and great pictures. It's always very helpful to understand the "guts" of our rigs.

Lucius
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

Re: Bedroom Rott / Renovation

Post by VT964x4 »

Helpful pics and thanks for the link to flexible foam, have been looking for something like the E-Z cool insulation. Some serious work you got to there!