Paneling behind sofa

Make it comfortable inside
JimF
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Paneling behind sofa

Post by JimF »

I am the proud new owner of a '96 B190. The van has only 56k miles on it and is in very good mechanical condition. I have just finished performing most all of the mechanical maintenance on it that you would expect to do on a vehicle that is 20 years old. I'm now turning my attention to the cosmetics which have suffered from a little neglect and sun damage. I'm having the seats and sofa recovered, but I need to replace the paneling that is on the side behind the sofa. I appears that I have to remove quite a few things in order to remove the old paneling like the wood frame for the sofa and the window, but has anyone had experience with this and if so is there a trick to removing the paneling? Also, what have you used to replace it with? It appears to be an oak veneer that is maybe 1/8" thick, but I'm not sure where to get something similar.

The other significant cosmetic issue is the stripping on the ourside. I have seen quite a bit of discussion about problems with the stripes, but would be interested to know if anyone has had any luck getting any new ones recently? I'm planning to remove them using the eraser wheel and drill method. I know I can buy some after market stripes and try my luck at putting them on, but would prefer the original.

This forum has been a great resource and I really appreciate those who keep it going and who post experiences, suggestions, and help. Actually this forum is where I found my van. Thanks all.

Jim
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Paneling behind sofa

Post by Reddeer »

On the decals: I recently called Airstream on one of the details (front window). I was told it was no longer in stock. Others may have other options. Enjoy the b-190.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

JimF wrote:I am the proud new owner of a '96 B190. The van has only 56k miles on it and is in very good mechanical condition. I have just finished performing most all of the mechanical maintenance on it that you would expect to do on a vehicle that is 20 years old. I'm now turning my attention to the cosmetics which have suffered from a little neglect and sun damage. I'm having the seats and sofa recovered, but I need to replace the paneling that is on the side behind the sofa. I appears that I have to remove quite a few things in order to remove the old paneling like the wood frame for the sofa and the window, but has anyone had experience with this and if so is there a trick to removing the paneling? Also, what have you used to replace it with? It appears to be an oak veneer that is maybe 1/8" thick, but I'm not sure where to get something similar.

The other significant cosmetic issue is the stripping on the ourside. I have seen quite a bit of discussion about problems with the stripes, but would be interested to know if anyone has had any luck getting any new ones recently? I'm planning to remove them using the eraser wheel and drill method. I know I can buy some after market stripes and try my luck at putting them on, but would prefer the original.

This forum has been a great resource and I really appreciate those who keep it going and who post experiences, suggestions, and help. Actually this forum is where I found my van. Thanks all.

Jim
I removed the sofa and support, window and the 2 vinyl upholstered trim pieces ...the very long one that runs the length of the wall, and the one right next to the driver's head. It can then be removed. I sanded mine and applied a textured vinyl wall covering ...blue, my favorite color! . I do like real woodgrain, but hate the woodgrain contact paper it was covered with. Is your's cracked or destroyed? Maybe recovering is not an option. If careful, paneling might take the bend? Nothing says you can't use the plastic paneling sheets available at home improvement stores. Take the time to add some extra insulation before reinstalling, it will muffle a lot of noise too. Good Luck, Rick
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
JimF
B190 Year: 0

Post by JimF »

Reddeer:
Thanks for the reply on the stripes. From earlier comments I was pretty sure that there was nothing still available, but was hoping somebody had found something. There is a shop down the road from me that restores Airstream trailers and someday I'll check in with them to see if they have any ideas.

Tucsonan:
I appreciate your response on the paneling. Your experience varified my thoughts and I removed it yesterday with very few problems. Cutting a new piece and getting it back in might be a bigger problem, but I know it's doable. I will definately add more insulation too. Thanks

Jimf
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

JimF wrote:Reddeer:
Thanks for the reply on the stripes. From earlier comments I was pretty sure that there was nothing still available, but was hoping somebody had found something. There is a shop down the road from me that restores Airstream trailers and someday I'll check in with them to see if they have any ideas.
After the accident in our B190, the shop painted a matching stripe on the front of the fenders. It didn't have the reflective strip in it like the original, but that could be easily replicated if you wanted it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Jim, I need to remove my stripes as well, ...they are pretty faded and cracked. I was going to order a wheel a year or so ago, but got caught up in another one of my unfinished projects. I have heard that the wheel can produce smearing of the glue under the stripes making for one heck of a clean-up when you're done. Recently, I was washing my van and turned a pressure sprayer on a small part of the stripes. They came clean off! The gray glue residue is still there, but not smeared at all. Some rubbing compound or polish may take care of that. Now maybe it's only one side of the van (the most faded side), but I've been meaning to get out there and try it again. It may have only worked because of our intense Arizona sun, but it is harmless to try before taking the wheel to it. 115 degrees this weekend, ...maybe I'll give it a go!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"