Leak -

Make it comfortable inside
Denco
Weekend Camper

Re: Leak - QUESTION PLEASE

Post by Denco »

NEXT!!! I got the dreaded leak under the bed frame top boards. Im sure its the side windows.

My question: Is there insulation between the walls below the side windows? Im talking about the windows that slide on each side of the bunk.

I know there is insulation below the bunk front window under the carpet looking material. Its a strip about 15 inches x the length of the top.

When I stick my fingers up there im not feeling any? I will run a coat hanger up there and see if I can find some, there is no room to get anything but 2 inches of a finger up under the wood panels to feel...

But without pulling the wood off the side walls I cant tell. I ask because if there is no insulation then im golden and do not have to worry about mildew behind those walls.

I also know there is insulation throughout the van in the walls.

THANKs ANYONE WHO CAN STOP ME FROM REMOVING THOSE WALL PANELS JUST TO LOOK INSIDE FOR INSULATION!
TimothyDacy

Re: Leak -

Post by TimothyDacy »

Are you going to continue this topic on b190.com, to be honest - fun !
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

TimothyDacy wrote:Are you going to continue this topic on b190.com, to be honest - fun !

???? not sure what you mean? I don't see where my question has ever addressed do you?
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by jlidahoair »

In reference to my 2012 post about fixing the exterior rubber window moldings. I did do that with the molding from the RV store which was readily available, and it stopped the leaking problem without gobble d gooked silicone. I did replace the fiberboard underlayment under the upper bed area after removing all the wet insulation, and totally drying the under bed area out. I replaced the underlayment with exterior flake board, which is more sturdy and will resist any more moisture problems there. Fyi, I had about an inch of standing water under the bed area puddled on the fiberglass, that I sucked out with a carpet cleaner. Then used the carpet cleaner wand to clean and suck out the water from the inside carpet on the side of the upper bead unit area. I made a couple holes in the underlayment, and left it out from the walls 2 inches to make it easier to remove any water that might happen to get in there in the future. Hope that doesn't happen, and it appears the leaking is stopped.

Also Denco.. the fact that there was insulation under the bed area, suggests that there was indeed insulation in the walls below the windows also, however I think the water that was leaking into my unit was running down the inside of the wall and directly under the bed so I didn't even go there.

Eventually I'll get around to taking some pics of the job. In the meantime. Merry Christmas to all, and Happy Trails.. ;-)
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

So it sounds like you did not remove the walls below the sliders. That's my big concern obviously mold can grow in there. Ill be removing my walls as soon as Im certain there is insulation in there. Which as you say most likely so.. Thank you VERY much for taking the time and writing all you did. Merry Xmas to you and yours. Denis

Oh and I did run a coat hanger up the bottom edge of the of the wall wood ( tiny opening) inside the walls- I did feel some resistance--- unfortunately!!
kitemanks
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by kitemanks »

I had a similar problem it was the driver side side top window. The top side windows and any other opening should be re-examined and when in doubt, caulk it.

Eric