Engine Fire with B-190

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

Re: Engine Fire with B-190

Post by VT964x4 »

Very sorry to read of this ordeal. Good to hear that all humans survived intact! Hopefully, the PEAK Kodiak will serve you for years to come. Thank you for taking the time to post and let us all know.
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper

Post by Minniemouse »

I wanted to make a comment about removing smoke damage. My husband & I are American Red Cross Disaster Services Volunteers, as well as 190b owners. Most of the assistance we provide is at house and apartment fire scenes. The Red Cross has a booklet we give out to the families, with detailed information about removing smoke damage. The information is also available on the American Red Cross web site. We had an accident with our 190b 5 days ago. Too bad we can't get our two vans together. Our engine is in perfect working order, all of the damage was to the structure of the RV, inside and out. If anyone needs more info on smoke damage, let me know. We are told that washing anything made of fabric with vanilla extract, works very well.
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks for the updates guys...

In minnies case....we need to pay attention to our tires...specifically age and air pressure

Hopefully more on that as minnie provides additional information....
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by mtnmanb »

Minniemouse wrote:I wanted to make a comment about removing smoke damage. My husband & I are American Red Cross Disaster Services Volunteers, as well as 190b owners. Most of the assistance we provide is at house and apartment fire scenes. The Red Cross has a booklet we give out to the families, with detailed information about removing smoke damage. The information is also available on the American Red Cross web site. We had an accident with our 190b 5 days ago. Too bad we can't get our two vans together. Our engine is in perfect working order, all of the damage was to the structure of the RV, inside and out. If anyone needs more info on smoke damage, let me know. We are told that washing anything made of fabric with vanilla extract, works very well.
Thanks Minniemouse. Sorry to hear about the accident and glad you both are ok. Our sleeping bags and blankets were in the upper bunk where most of the smoke happened for 3 hours. We just aired them out for a couple days, then sent them through the washer using Target's lavender detergent. We air dried everything for a couple more days and that seemed to get everything out, including all of the curtains we took down. I think the key is to air dry and not use the dryer with dryer sheets.

B
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper

Post by Minniemouse »

I am glad you were able to get the smoke odor out of your camper things! I am sure you are right about air drying. I do prefer to hang our linens outside whenever I can. Fresh Air is such a nice smell!
I am sensitive to chemical odors, so I cannot use any detergent with fragrance, or tolerate smoke odor in anything. If you were trying to salvage the interior of the camper it would be best to read what the Red Cross web site recommends. The coating left on the surfaces after a fire are toxic, but they can be removed with the right process.
Minnie Mouse
Coastal N Carolina
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by mtnmanb »

Sway bar sold. Still need to post up the Ryobi Generator.

So I just posted the curtains for sale, perfect shape and made of much better material than the original. See post here:
http://www.b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2257

Lemme know.

B
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks Brian....glad to meet up with you guys Sunday and take that sway bar off your hands
vacuumbed
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1997

Post by vacuumbed »

Very sad story, but I'm glad the owners were not hurt.

I know this van could have been fixed, but it is a lot of work.

The best approach is to find a 1991 Ford E350 van with a 460 and buy it as a donor van. The second best would be to find a 1991 E350 at a junk yard.

Then pull the engine on the B190 and begin reconditioning the engine compartment with all the parts from the donor van.

Then reinstall the replacement or better yet a rebuilt 460 and transmission if needed.

I checked the IAA site and the van is gone. I wonder who bought it.