Help with history

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Oldbagpipe
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Help with history

Post by Oldbagpipe »

It may already be posted, but I have not been able to locate it. I have viewed the 'History of the Airstream 190 B-Van Motorhome' flyer which notes that the first year (1989) used the fiberglass top manufactured by Okanagan. Were the first year campers also built by Okanagan? The reason I ask is that I have come across a 1989 and can't locate the Airstream identification tag, under the hood, anywhere. However, in the rear closet is the paperwork that shows the manufacturer to be Okanagan Mfgrs with a build date of 06/88. It's got 'Airstream' identifiers (ie. logo), everywhere and it has some other 'neat' features that I can't locate on the internet which further piques my interest.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Help with history

Post by skater »

Oldbagpipe wrote:It may already be posted, but I have not been able to locate it. I have viewed the 'History of the Airstream 190 B-Van Motorhome' flyer which notes that the first year (1989) used the fiberglass top manufactured by Okanagan. Were the first year campers also built by Okanagan? The reason I ask is that I have come across a 1989 and can't locate the Airstream identification tag, under the hood, anywhere. However, in the rear closet is the paperwork that shows the manufacturer to be Okanagan Mfgrs with a build date of 06/88. It's got 'Airstream' identifiers (ie. logo), everywhere and it has some other 'neat' features that I can't locate on the internet which further piques my interest.
Okanagan was building them before Airstream got involved.

Friends of mine have one that was built by Okanagan, and the original owner took it back to Airstream, who put the Airstream logos on it so he could join WBCCI. It could be a situation like that. Or it could be - like you said - that Okanagan was still building them under Airstream's ownership for a while.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Oldbagpipe
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Re: Help with history

Post by Oldbagpipe »

Thank you Skater. I did find a quote which you posted, on-line, back in 2010:

"As I understand it, Okanagan made them under license for Airstream during the '89 model year, then it moved to Jackson Center. Airstream bought the design from Okanagan; there are campers out there that look exactly like our B190s but were made by Okanagan before 1989."

Which, if true, brings me back to the original question regarding the identification number. This unit only has two prior owners, neither of whom would have gone to the trouble of emblems and logos. Maybe I will try to research the actual Airstream Corporation to see what I can find.
Thanks again!