Shower Hose Replacement

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Sheila G
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 2000

Shower Hose Replacement

Post by Sheila G »

Hi Everyone,

I never thought I would have soooo many problems with my 2000 B190. Every time I think I'm good to go something else breaks. I've had Eleanor Rig-B since the beginning of February but I just can't seem to get her out of my driveway. She's been in and out of the rv repair shop several times. I got her back last week and I thought I was finally ready to hit the road. I was so excited! I put her in reverse and the generator exhaust pipe fell off. (guess I was lucky it happened in my driveway) I've had that fixed ($103) but now I found a crack in my shower hose. I thought at least I finally can fix something myself. WRONG, I couldn't get the end of the hose off of the faucet connection. The rv shop told me that it's crimped on, not screwed on. They also said it's a weird size and hard to find. I asked them to see what they could do and they came back with a quote of $125.45 to replace it. This sounds crazy to me! It's just the hose, the shower head is good. Can someone tell me if this is truly the case. It seems like I should be able to rig something up. The shower head screwed off with no problem.

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Cheers.
SheilaG
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Shower Hose Replacement

Post by skater »

Sheila G wrote:Hi Everyone,

I never thought I would have soooo many problems with my 2000 B190. Every time I think I'm good to go something else breaks. I've had Eleanor Rig-B since the beginning of February but I just can't seem to get her out of my driveway. She's been in and out of the rv repair shop several times. I got her back last week and I thought I was finally ready to hit the road. I was so excited! I put her in reverse and the generator exhaust pipe fell off. (guess I was lucky it happened in my driveway) I've had that fixed ($103) but now I found a crack in my shower hose. I thought at least I finally can fix something myself. WRONG, I couldn't get the end of the hose off of the faucet connection. The rv shop told me that it's crimped on, not screwed on. They also said it's a weird size and hard to find. I asked them to see what they could do and they came back with a quote of $125.45 to replace it. This sounds crazy to me! It's just the hose, the shower head is good. Can someone tell me if this is truly the case. It seems like I should be able to rig something up. The shower head screwed off with no problem.

Any help would be so much appreciated.
Ugh, that's annoying. Every one I've seen just screws off, but it's possible Airstream put one in that doesn't. Normally they are removable because you need to take it off to drain it while winterizing. I'd hope a shop would be able to figure that out, though. Any chance you could post a picture of it?

Note, you may be able to camp without a shower - if you're going to a campground, most campgrounds have showers you can use. We almost never used the shower in ours (ours had the tiny tub design though).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by Kentuckian »

Sheila,
I feel your frustration of not being able to get on the road! Everytime I have to fix something... I just remember how much a new class B Sprinter rig cost <smile> That helps me live with the fixes on these older vehicles.

It would be great if you could post a photo of the fitting that the dealer said was "crimped" and also a photo of the area of the hose that has a crack. With that info, we might be able to offer a suggestion.

Regards, Kentuckian
1993 Airstream B190
Sheila G
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 2000

Post by Sheila G »

Hi Skater an Kentuckian.

Thanks very much for offering help ..... But everything turned out good for me. I told the RV repair shop that $125 was too much and that I would try to figure out how to do it myself. They had already purchased the hose and said that if I paid for the hose they would install it for free. How lucky is that?? It still bothers me though that this hose is crimped on, especially since most others are regular type screw-ons. One of the reasons I bought this van is because I liked the little bathroom. I plan on doing a lot of boondocking so the shower is very important to me. I think I may finally be able to get out of my driveway this weekend and take my first trip! Yay!!

Cheers
SheilaG
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by Kentuckian »

Sheila,
Hey that is great news! Glad it worked out so well for you and have fun on your outing!
1993 Airstream B190