Whats it worth?

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
markatherton
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Whats it worth?

Post by markatherton »

How much is a b190 worth with 180,000 miles? It seems like the motor would not have a lot of life left in it and would be VERY expensive to pull it out, rebuild it, and put it back in....Your thoughts...Mark
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Whats it worth?

Post by skater »

I actually think replacing the motor isn't that bad - it comes out the front.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

I may be counter to the reality of the worth of these vehicles or completely biased(probably) however, I do not see why a B-190 that is road worthy, reasonably restored and updated is not worth $18,000-20,000. Throw out the accepted values of vehicles that are out there and look at what this camper can do compared to many high end smaller RV's. Would some one pay for a camper like this with this type ability? A smart person may see beyond the status quo and snag up a B-190 and have years of pleasurable camping/travel. With so many of these engines on the road and mechanics that can work on them easily compared to more expensive and complicated vehicles that is a real convenience. What does this site say?

Like a house...I have over the years sold homes that the market said was worth this or that for thousands more that surprised real estate agents. It only takes one buyer that likes what they see. While a house is considered an appreciating asset vs. a depreciating asset the B-190 is a vintage interest that has real value. I may be preaching to the choir but, wherever I go in this camper people have been interested in buying in the condition it is in now. There is a value of a paid for dependable, comfortable camper and living below your means.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

mountaindent wrote:I may be counter to the reality of the worth of these vehicles or completely biased(probably) however, I do not see why a B-190 that is road worthy, reasonably restored and updated is not worth $18,000-20,000. Throw out the accepted values of vehicles that are out there and look at what this camper can do compared to many high end smaller RV's. Would some one pay for a camper like this with this type ability? A smart person may see beyond the status quo and snag up a B-190 and have years of pleasurable camping/travel. With so many of these engines on the road and mechanics that can work on them easily compared to more expensive and complicated vehicles that is a real convenience. What does this site say?

Like a house...I have over the years sold homes that the market said was worth this or that for thousands more that surprised real estate agents. It only takes one buyer that likes what they see. While a house is considered an appreciating asset vs. a depreciating asset the B-190 is a vintage interest that has real value. I may be preaching to the choir but, wherever I go in this camper people have been interested in buying in the condition it is in now. There is a value of a paid for dependable, comfortable camper and living below your means.
I agree totally and the fact that, unlike a class C and larger, you can hook a trailer up to the B and make a run to the lumber yard to pick up some lumber or whatever or run to the grocery store or mall and park in a normal parking spot or go out, have a couple of drinks , watch a game and not take the chance of driving, a DWI or worse. It is a multiple use Vehicle !! :D
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

Choptop wrote:I agree totally and the fact that, unlike a class C and larger, you can hook a trailer up to the B and make a run to the lumber yard to pick up some lumber or whatever or run to the grocery store or mall and park in a normal parking spot or go out, have a couple of drinks , watch a game and not take the chance of driving, a DWI or worse. It is a multiple use Vehicle !! :D
Well said, Choptop! Would an old 1967 car have any value in today’s market? Well... if it’s a Corvette L88 it could be worth $3.2 million! And you can’t even fry an egg or take a shower in it. :rofl:

I am confident that a well cared for B190, regardless of mileage, will increase in value as the years go by.

*full disclosure - I have chugged the kool-aid!
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

usachris wrote:
Choptop wrote:I am confident that a well cared for B190, regardless of mileage, will increase in value as the years go by.

*full disclosure - I have chugged the kool-aid!
They kind of already have, along with other Airstreams. Look at some of the very old For Sale posts...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Ramble alert!!....I know we MAY think it is completely unrealistic to think this type camper is worth anything beyond the base numbers but, if someone offered me a camper with a toilet, ability to take a reasonable shower to get clean, the chance to stretch the nozzle of shower out the back of the camper to rinse off sand, dirt or shower out in nature, the ability to cook a meal or have a cold drink, stretch out on the couch for a nap/read or daybed nap if too tired while traveling, ability to have three people travel with you or a separate living space if two people need a little space, have a huge bed to sleep in that is comfortable for two or really roomy for one I would buy this camper for more than they are selling it for in the ads. The light from all the windows makes me smile because it is not all closed in feeling like the sprinter camper before and the feeling of real security with the cab connected to the living space but, it is the ultimate aspect of freedom of movement where one does NOT get that uncomfortable feeling that the RV can not fit somewhere like in a larger camper, or the RV can not make this or that turn or if the primary driver gets sick no one would be able to get the family to the next destination..... I would pay $20,000-$25,000 for that experience and probably in the end that will be what I end up paying over the years after all the upgrades, replacement parts due to age degradation but, it is worth that.

It is really cold here in the mountains of NC and I stop in a couple times a week where she is parked and take B for a ride around the block or just start her up to hear the engine. My son goes back to college this weekend and one of these days I might go and start her up I might just keep going for a week or two. The Colorado trip is not till July and that is a long time off to not go camping.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

I love it when people ramble!! :D
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

I'm with Mountain!!! You can't put a price on the experience of owning one of these. Mine is a '90, but after the hours and effort (and, of course, the expense) of renovating this beast, I couldn't see selling for less than $15k - which is double what I paid for her. I expect someone with RV experience will appreciate that.

But yea, even if I can't get out for adventure, I'll just hang out on the couch, watch some TV, take a nap... backyard camping!!! :-)
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

slapthecat wrote:I'm with Mountain!!! You can't put a price on the experience of owning one of these. Mine is a '90, but after the hours and effort (and, of course, the expense) of renovating this beast, I couldn't see selling for less than $15k - which is double what I paid for her. I expect someone with RV experience will appreciate that.

But yea, even if I can't get out for adventure, I'll just hang out on the couch, watch some TV, take a nap... backyard camping!!! :-)
Like I said it only takes people seeing value....I see all the Mercedes Sprinters/Roadtreks and other B's that have been bought and if you check on RVtrader many for sale again. Wait till the spring and the amount of B campers that are for sale preowned would astound you or maybe not. That does not even count all the new ones the dealerships are trying to push off their lots. Yes, it does cost money to fix these babies up but, to not have a mortgage/debt or worry if you get a scratch on a $100,000 vehicle? We are either smarter than the average dreamer or delusional. I go back and forth between the two on any given day. However, do you think the dealerships or political power people in vehicular appraisals would ever WANT others to see the value in vintage campers. Uh, no.
PatO
B190 Year: 1994

Post by PatO »

My 1994 I just bought has 135,000 miles. I looked ALL OVER for another B van that sleeps 3-4 comfortably, and I could not find a decent layout anywhere. They almost all had a lounge or couch in back that folds down to 1 bed, but where is my (tall) 16 year old boy going to sleep? Some did have 2 beds, but some were ridiculously small, or you put the seats together to make a "bed", still way too small. I love the layout of the 190, that's reason #1.

#2, the price and quality: reading reviews of the new sprinter types and winnebagos, both of which suffered from the same lousy layouts noted above, I saw complaints from people about water in the cabinets, broken cheap latches and fixtures, etc. on vans costing 10x what I paid!

I guess I could have sold my house and bought a new airstream for over 200K, but even those don't have the same layout, and some of the toilets in these new ones look like they are right up against a wall! I am very happy with my "in the middle of nowhere" toilet, thank you very much.

I just spent 2,000 at the truck place getting everything done that they could find, from brake lines to a new rear door, to fuel pump and front bushings, along with several other potential issues. I couldn't be happier! All the people at the truck place loved the van, The owner commented on the engine strength(460), talking about how I could tow a car up hills with no problem, etc. I am betting that if I do ever want to sell, I will get every penny back that I am going to be putting into it; I have never felt that way about cars or RVs that I have had before.

Strong motor, very little surface rust, quality wood inside, low price, great layout, and oh, yeah - Fiberglass roof! Try getting your money back fixing up one of these rubber roofed jobs with leaks, mold, nothing but veneers and cheap hardware in 3-4 years, never mind 30 years! What's not to love? I guess that's why I am here - I AM enthusiastic.
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

PatO wrote:Strong motor, very little surface rust, quality wood inside, low price, great layout, and oh, yeah - Fiberglass roof! Try getting your money back fixing up one of these rubber roofed jobs with leaks, mold, nothing but veneers and cheap hardware in 3-4 years, never mind 30 years! What's not to love? I guess that's why I am here - I AM enthusiastic.
Well said, Pat. Well said. :D
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

[quote="PatO"]My 1994 I just bought has 135,000 miles. I looked ALL OVER for another B van that sleeps 3-4 comfortably, and I could not find a decent layout anywhere. They almost all had a lounge or couch in back that folds down to 1 bed, but where is my (tall) 16 year old boy going to sleep? Some did have 2 beds, but some were ridiculously small, or you put the seats together to make a "bed", still way too small. I love the layout of the 190, that's reason #1.

#2, the price and quality: reading reviews of the new sprinter types and winnebagos, both of which suffered from the same lousy layouts noted above, I saw complaints from people about water in the cabinets, broken cheap latches and fixtures, etc. on vans costing 10x what I paid!

I guess I could have sold my house and bought a new airstream for over 200K, but even those don't have the same layout, and some of the toilets in these new ones look like they are right up against a wall! I am very happy with my "in the middle of nowhere" toilet, thank you very much.

I just spent 2,000 at the truck place getting everything done that they could find, from brake lines to a new rear door, to fuel pump and front bushings, along with several other potential issues. I couldn't be happier! All the people at the truck place loved the van, The owner commented on the engine strength(460), talking about how I could tow a car up hills with no problem, etc. I am betting that if I do ever want to sell, I will get every penny back that I am going to be putting into it; I have never felt that way about cars or RVs that I have had before.

Well said! I read your reasons for picking the B190 and the liveability of this camper astounds me so I can understand the enjoyment. I can extend the bed and have a huge space to stretch out and really do not care about the lack of overhead space above the bed. I have a nice couch to socialize and eat on, a bathroom/shower that is more than functional and the freedom to go many places with great driving visibility. I had a Sprinter and did not enjoy as much as I love this camper which is debt free!
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Well after reading this I feel better im not the only one who feels the same way as the group. I've spent as much as I payed for mine in upgrades and repairs and counting. But like you im still enthusiastic every time we take it out. Lately its been almost every weekend at least one night.
I cant get enough and my wife loves it to.it doesn't get any better!
I talked about a campout for the group once before for us on the west coast but it would be that much better if we could do something in Colorado or something where everyone could attend.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Well if I am wanting to be honest, I have paid way more for improvements and upgrades than the camper is worth on the open market. To me, I have spent what is necessary to revive. That being said and in contrast to my conservative financial thinking in my life, this camper checks the basic living skills needs of a traveler.

While camping if one can stay dry, sleep well, eat well, read comfortably and look out on nature due to the multiple windows? What more can anyone want? Nimble travel ability and not to mention that in campgrounds, gas stations and parking lots there seem to be the curious coming out of the woods to check out your B190. While we may be called a fringe Airstream unit by some I still feel very welcomed at the Airstream gatherings like the Mountain Air Gathering in Hiawassee, Ga and Aluminlina events with the silver bullets. Once you join this group there are many social activities through Airstream Forums but of course, a gathering of B190's would be a bucket list activity! I will be in Colorado from July through October near Pagosa Springs if any other B190s out there.