2800 MicroLite by Onan
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Fuel Supply....

Post by Alaskan »

Posted by Wayne

The generator is installed for my rig but the problem now is connection of the gas line. It appears that the gas tank sending units do not have a separate connection for the gas line from the generator. Any suggestions on connecting the gas line from the generator?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wayne...

I see your rig is a 1990 which means it has two separate fuel tanks. The fuel supply for your generator will come from your front tank.

About directly across from the u-joint at the rear of your transmission on the drivers side you'll see a round plastic device mounted of the vehicles chassis with 4 lines at the rear of it a 2 line at the front of it.

The line you're looking to tap into will be the line at 1 o'clock looking from the rear. Those 4 lines have a rubber covering over the actual fuel line itself and you'll need to strip that back about 6-8 inches. What you'll find under that covering is a plastic fuel line.

Airstream cut that fuel line about 3 inches behind where it hooks to that plastic device. At that cut you'll install a brass Tee and route a line to your generator...be sure to protect that line anywhere it might rub.

BTW....the 2800 MicroLite gen has its own electric fuel pump.

Make your fuel line and electrical wiring long enough to be able to easily slide the generator out of the box.

Also...in the bottom of the generator box I put a 1 1/2" hole directly under the drain plug (Airstream didn't do that til later and in 1997 they installed a hose with a fitting bolted to the Ford chassis for draining the oil ) makes life a lot more fun when it come to changing the oil...

Pictures here to assist you...

Use stainless hose clamps...looks like I need to change mine !

If you have mice...:lol:

NOTE... The fuel pick up in the tank will not allow the generator to run the tank dry...therefore the generator will STOP running long BEFORE your gauge shows the tank as being empty...
Last edited by Alaskan on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Eagle »

Alaskan, you are a life saver. The Airstream has been in the shop for 3 days with both the installer and I trying to figure a way to get gas to the generator.

We even called Airstream and spoke to a person who has been there for years, but he could not remember how they made the connection. Since all those on this forum appear to have generators I knew I could get an answer.

Thanks, for your help. Now I can get back on the road and enjoy myself.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Wayne....just remember us when it comes time to make a donation to keep this site up & running... :lol:

Now....why the heck can't I get your link in your signature to work...???

Takes me to:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /My_Toy.html on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Eagle »

Alaskan, don't no what the problem is with the link. I just clicked on it and went to the site. Sometimes the site is down for maintenance and that may be the cause of a bad link.

You can also go to http://www.goses.org and click on the link for "My Toy". Need to update the pictures and "My Travels" page.

Yes, I will remember about the donation. The information you provided is well worth it.

Take care, and I hope you caught a lot of salmon. Took my sister out to lunch today and that is what see ordered. To purchase in a store here it cost around $9.00 a pound.

I have wanted to tour Alaska and next summer may be the time.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

The good news is the salmon are free....the bad news is the gas is $9.00 per pound

goses.org doesn't work either...

If you head to Alaska buy a copy of "The Milepost"
http://www.themilepost.com/

EdwardM
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Fuel Supply....

Post by EdwardM »

I know it's an old thread, but thought this was relevant.i just removed the generator from my 93 which only has one tank, and boy was it hard getting to find the tee. In the end I removed the extension that ran to the generator and plugged the remaining line with a barb attachment and cap.Image

i then wrapped it in plastic shroud and fixed it behind some of the chassis, to protect it from flying debris, etc. Pretty happy with the result, all things considered.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Reddeer »

Thanks. New info is always helpful.
Buuurrrt
New User
B190 Year: 0

Post by Buuurrrt »

New to the forum and looking forward to introducing you to my new to me 1992 B190. I will do a new post with the specifics.

But for now I'm working on getting the generator running. I pulled the carb out and cleaned it out. My question is where the fuel supply is on the gas tank. The fuel line was disconnected when it arrived. I found 2 small tubes running off the front and rear of the tank. But they are capped, so I figured those were vent hoses(?). 92 only one tank..

After I put the carb back in could get the gen to fire up pulling fuel from a gas can. But it would shut right down. I didn't have a coach battery installed at the time and understand that could be the problem with the auto shutdown. Mostly curious about the location on the fuel tank where the gen would get its supply.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Buuurrrt wrote:Mostly curious about the location on the fuel tank where the gen would get its supply.
The manual for the generator says that the fuel should be drawn from the tank, but the feed should be above the bottom of the tank so that you can't strand yourself with the generator.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Airstream just connected it to an existing fuel line somewhere. I'm pretty sure that's how my '91 was set up, but it had dual tanks so it's not directly comparable.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit