Batteries linked?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Gort
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Batteries linked?

Post by Gort »

Went out to start the van and the battery was too low. Both batteries look old so I’m not too concerned, I’m going to replace them both anyway. What is curious is I checked the voltage of both of them, and they were identical, 9.7 volts. Having had campers before, I thought both batteries should be isolated…one will still be good if the other discharges. It appears mine are linked. I have not run the wiring down yet to verify this.
One of the previous owners removed the generator. Anyone know if this might have something to do with the batteries no longer being isolated?
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Batteries linked?

Post by Mgittrich »

I can't speak for all years but my 93 had a 6ga wire connecting the positive terminals together. This was the way they were delivered from the factory. I have removed this to prevent draining the starter battery while using the house lights, water pump, heater, etc.
Gort
Weekend Camper

Post by Gort »

Thanks, I'll check for that.

Update: If there is a cable connecting the two, it is not in an obvious place. From what I can see, there is a solenoid in front of the passenger side battery (truck/engine?) and another solenoid to the side of the drivers side battery (house?). Both positive terminals connect to solenoids. I'm wondering if one of the solenoids is bad. How could I check this?

Upate #2...Found it, un-linked them.
Gort
Weekend Camper

Post by Gort »

Found this old post and thought I'd update. I installed a switch, in-line, on the wire that connects the two batteries. I mounted it on the dash in side. This way I can charge both batteries while driving and isolate the two batteies when I'm camped.