Cab lights

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Travelisaverb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Cab lights

Post by Travelisaverb »

Having a little trouble with my cab lights and overhead bed lights.

The cab (dome) lights only work when the doors to my van are open. Makes it a little challenging to find things while I'm driving in the middle of the night or want to pull over and check a map.

Also noticed that the lights in the overhead bed area don't work either. All my other lights work, and I tried one of the working bulbs in the fixture and they still don't work. Could it be a bad switch or fuse or connection? Anyone have experience with this electrical setup?
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Cab lights

Post by Reddeer »

On the bed lights, first check the "additional" white switch on the right side of the top cabinets/driver's side. This is a second switch to control the lights if you are not up in the bed.

Good luck.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

After looking at the switch, I'd check the fuses. In my 93' the brown wire in the 12v distribution panel is connected to the cab lights and the furnace .

Good luck.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Travelisaverb wrote:Having a little trouble with my cab lights and overhead bed lights.

The cab (dome) lights only work when the doors to my van are open. Makes it a little challenging to find things while I'm driving in the middle of the night or want to pull over and check a map.

Also noticed that the lights in the overhead bed area don't work either. All my other lights work, and I tried one of the working bulbs in the fixture and they still don't work. Could it be a bad switch or fuse or connection? Anyone have experience with this electrical setup?
In mine, the light by the front seats, mounted underneath the bed, worked exactly like a dome light in a car - that is, it turned on when you opened the door, or when you turned the knob on the headlights to turn on the dome light. You could hit the switches on the light to turn them off, but then they wouldn't work at all. They weren't wired in a 3-way fashion, which would be nice, but probably complicated because of the headlight switch wiring.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Cab lights - Which direction?

Post by Reddeer »

Which direction do you rotate the headlight switch to activate the dome lights? I have tried both clockwise and counter clockwise on my 1993. I turned it both ways until I hit pretty firm resistance, but the lights did not come on. They do come on when the door is open.

Thanks.
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Got it! You turn it counter clock wise. Just turn a bit harder.