Battery Isolator?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Millennium Falcon
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Battery Isolator?

Post by Millennium Falcon »

So, been wondering what the key switch on on the side (front left corner panel) of my B190 was for, since I bought it a couple weeks ago. While I was flushing the radiator I followed the wires from the key switch to a strange looking thingamajig . I'm new to the camper world so bare with me. I stumbled across an image of a battery isolator by accident while I was researching something else, and it looks almost exactly like the thingamajig in my B190. I posted images from my B190. So, my question is, is this a battery isolator? Also, I've read a little bit about them...and from what I understand( if this is a battery isolator) is that the switch allows you to switch from running the house battery only, to running both the house and starting battery, when running interior lights, etc. Also not sure how to tell which setting the key switch is in.

Thanks!
Jim
P1010102.JPG
P1010102.JPG (222.08 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
P1010101.JPG
P1010101.JPG (151.38 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
1991 Intervec Ford Falcon 190TBF
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Battery Isolator?

Post by skater »

Wow. Mine didn't have the key on the side of the camper, to start with.

The isolator in mine was wired so that when the ignition was turned to run, the isolator allowed the engine's 12 volt battery to power the coach 12 volt system, in effect allowing the engine to recharge the camper's battery, run lights, provide power to start the generator, etc.

The key in yours makes me think more of a battery cutoff - that is, it was installed to give the owner an easy way to disconnect the coach battery while the camper was in storage so it wouldn't run down as quickly.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

Looks to me more like an security device I had on an similar vintage car. Of course this assumed that the thief did not have access to pop the hood and circumvent the cut off-- likely successful for many thieves of a certain IQ, but not all!
Millennium Falcon
Weekend Camper

Post by Millennium Falcon »

I think you might be (partially?)right, weekender. Was finally able to get back to work on the camper after being in the glass repair shop for two weeks and then on vacation for another week. Was trying to figure out why I'm not getting a reading on either fuel tank. So followed the wires (red and black) coming from the fuel gauge to that box thingy in the image I posted, as well as a white wire that was cut. So I spliced the white wire, turned the van on, and sure enough the alarm went off. Not sure how it works though, had to cut the wire to turn it off again. The white wire appears to be connected to a toggle switch on the dash, which runs to the box thingy in the engine compartment, which is connected to the key switch on the side. The fuel gauge is also connected to that box thingy. So not sure if it is intended to run/control multiple systems or what.

I have to take a closer look and do some more testing as I'm not that familiar with this type of stuff. Also got caught up in stripping everything in the bunk area (ceiling) after pulling the fan unit and finding some wood rot and mold:/ Not too bad, but better to be safe than sorry when it comes to mold.
1991 Intervec Ford Falcon 190TBF
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

I need some help. I've looked through the posts and can't find any reference to the fuse on the ignition wire going to the isolator. My coach battery doesn't charge by alternator (does by shore power) and my refrigerator doesn't work on 12v. I understand how these are connected (I think). I have 14v to the isolator when van is running but 12v wire from ignition won't kick isolator on. I have no juice on the wire coming from the ignition when the van is running. If I run a hot wire to the terminal on the isolator that opens it, I get a nice click, so I think there is a fuse blown on that line but there is nothing obvious in the engine compartment or under the dash. I can run a new fused wire but thought I'd see if anyone has had this problem and found the fuse. I'm assuming that once the isolator opens my 12v refrigerator problem will go away. Thanks for any help. Barry
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

Yes, I did run a new hot wire to isolator and it kicks on and works as it should. Coach battery is being charged by alternator and 12v works on refridge. I fused the line (ran it right off battery ) and out a on/off switch on it. Still wish I could find where original line is fused.