House Battery turffle shuffle

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

House Battery turffle shuffle

Post by jb1rd73 »

The PO moved the house battery to underneath the sofa, I need help putting one back there and adding on to the sofa location for a total of three house batteries, is this overkill? What kind of convertor do I need, it seems the original is not very well designed and over charges???? Ideally I would like to run my Vita Mix without having to plug in or run the gennie, maybe watch a movie on the laptop or eventual flat screen. I am clueless and baffled by this whole 12v thing! Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am willing and eager to learn I just don't know how to start.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Re: House Battery turffle shuffle

Post by Keystone »

Hey Jason,
Welcome to Colorado! So, you are wanting to expand the coach battery bank and power some specific loads when boondocking. First, consider that bigger battery bank: if the unthinkable happens and they are all dead, recharging them will likely tax the van's alternator beyond its design load when you fire up the van. So, you might need a beefier alternator to be on the safe side. You are right also about the converter--that's a good idea to upgrade even if you only have one coach battery. Most of us used the Intellipower PD something-or-other. Suggest you spec that after you choose batteries.

Your loads are another thing. The laptop, flatscreen, etc., are pretty small loads and would only require a small inverter (if you have a MacBook) or can likely run on DC. I do this kind of thing with just the one coach battery. What's the power rating of the Vitamix? You'll need a high-quality inverter big enough to run that monster. That's the situation when you might wish for more batteries. Or when you're parked at Wolf Creek and running the furnace motor all nice because its -12deg. Are you going to have solar? Or are you willing to start the van from time to time?
Keystone
B190 4x4
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

That message sent itself before I was done. "night", not "nice". sigh... Anyway, some stuff to consider. Others here will be a good resource for your electrical upgrades.
Keystone
B190 4x4
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by mtnmanb »

Welcome! The forum already has most of your answers, just have to look around at the titles. This was the best resource for replacing the converter and what to buy:
http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=839

From what I remember, a Vitamix is a pretty beefy mixer (>1500 watts)? That may be difficult without a genny or plug in.

As for running a computer or smaller flat screen LCD (mine was a 22" before it was stolen). You can use a simple 100 watt 12V portable converter that you normally used in a car.

I have two batteries for the house and it works well! The furnace fan is your biggest drain, but only needed in the winter.

B
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Here is what I found when trying to figure out why my house battery system is finicky at best.
Hmmmmm, that doesn't look right let me "jiggle" it!!!!
Pretty sure this should not just pop out like that
What size battery fits in the stock location? The PO moved the House battery to underneath the couch, I would like to add this one back in even if as a spare holding location and not actually hooked up, obviously wired in would be great but I don't need to complicate this any more as I already don't understand it 8O
What I have found is that somehow the House battery got wired in with the ignition, this is def unacceptable as I already stranded myself once and was lucky there were people around the campsite :evil: The last battery that was in the House location was fried and only 2 years old, over charging? Under charging? NOt sure but this system is a mess at any rate, I bought a cheap new battery last night so I could at least get juice to the 12v water pump and waste I mean use 7 gal of RVA 8O However it would be nice to put this battery in the spare location since it is brand new and have a better battery running the House once I get it all figured out. Guess I know whats on the "to do" list this winter!!!

Sent by magic, I mean come on really, pictures through thin air, MAGIC!!!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

jb1rd73 wrote:Sent by magic, I mean come on really, pictures through thin air, MAGIC!!!
I completely agree...I was handling a MicroSD card to the tune of 32 GB the other day, thinking about the days I added 128 KB of RAM to a computer by plugging in 6 or 8 individual chips.

What year is your van? My '91 used a relatively standard size deep cycle battery, but some other years used a very weird size that's hard to find.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

It's a 94, I measured the space and it seems a bit to narrow 6 1/2"(front of engine to back)for a normal size group 24, it is also fairly long 12+"
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

My 94 has group 34/78 batteries in both positions under the hood. It's a tight squeeze in the coach spot. I'll be interested to know if that's what other 94s are using.
Keystone
B190 4x4
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

I believe the 94 is the same a my 93. The house battery is a ford specific battery, only ever found one at a dealer. The part number is BH 50 -- Fleet Tough/Commmercial
Last edited by weekender on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

My 93 B190 also uses the Interstate Batteries C50-XHD. This battery is fairly pricey, about $150, and has a 60 amp hour capacity. This is a group 50 battery and is not easy to find. It's not available at Sears and is special order at most auto parts stores.

Most people in this forum try to eliminate the battery under the hood and place 1 or more group 31 batteries in the back of the van. This is what I did. I put 3 Diehard AGM group 31 batteries are n the back, one under the couch and 2 under the stove wired in parallel. I did keep the battery under the hood and wired in a switch under the couch to select the battery under the hood or the battery bank in the back. I did this because the generator is directly attached to the battery under the hood and I didn't want to spend the time re-wiring the setup. So I use the battery under the hood strictly for starting the generator.

If your interested in pursuing this approach there are many write ups in this forum that would be helpful to you.

Good luck!

Mike
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Here's the house battery in my 92. It was in it when purchased over three years ago and is still going strongImage

Cliff
EricZ
Weekend Camper

Post by EricZ »

Cliff [edited to specify who's picture I was referring to],

The picture you show is the battery on the driver's side of the engine compartment. In my 1993 Airstream 190 (and, I believe in 1992 through at least 1994, probably at least a few years later) that battery is the chassis battery (i.e., the one that starts the engine).

The house battery in my van was originally in the engine compartment on the passenger side.
Last edited by EricZ on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

If you are referring to my pics, those were showing the loose wires. The "house" battery is non existent in my passenger side compartment where it should be.
EricZ wrote:The picture you show is the battery on the driver's side of the engine compartment. In my 1993 Airstream 190 (and, I believe in 1992 through at least 1994, probably at least a few years later) that battery is the chassis battery (i.e., the one that starts the engine).

The house battery in my van was originally in the engine compartment on the passenger side.
EricZ
Weekend Camper

Post by EricZ »

jb1rd73 wrote:If you are referring to my pics, those were showing the loose wires. The "house" battery is non existent in my passenger side compartment where it should be.
No, I was actually referring to Cliff's (lido14co's) post. I've edited my post to make that clear.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Sorry. I'll have to uncover the van and check the other battery on the passenger side.

Cliff