'93 under hood batteries

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
airoff
New User
B190 Year: 94
WBCCI: 0

'93 under hood batteries

Post by airoff »

Maybe I'm being a little dense, but I can't seem to find the right answer...

My '93 B190 has two batteries under the hood. The passenger side is the small battery - some posts here say it's a Group 50, but my car mechanic looked up the E350 in a book and said it should be Group 65.
The driver side battery is a full size one, not sure of the group number.

But my basic question is which is the engine battery, and which is the house?

Is the smaller battery the one people here have discussed supplementing with a 3rd battery?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!

Alan
airoff
New User
B190 Year: 94

Re: '93 under hood batteries

Post by airoff »

Well, I found an answer to my basic question!! Posting it here for anyone else who is confused.

On my '93 B190, there is a large battery on the driver side - that is the ENGINE battery. My mechanic said the is a GROUP 65 Battery.

The smaller one on the passenger side is the COACH battery. This is the one people augment with a 3rd inside battery.

I hope someone finds this useful!!

Alan
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by micabarry »

Alan, my 91 has the batteries the opposite sides of yours. There are some good posts here on size but I believe the coach (rv stuff) battery was a group 24 but I was able to get an AGM group 27 in mine with just a slight modification of the tray with my Drexel tool. One corner near the firewall had a curve and a bump. I cut the corner off and the larger battery fit fine. Barry
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Mgittrich »

Alan, on the '93 you are correct. The Group 65 battery on the drivers side is the engine battery and the battery on the passenger side is the coach battery which is a Group 50.

Mike