Water heater troubleshooting?

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
JoeD
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Water heater troubleshooting?

Post by JoeD »

Hi all. First time poster, long time troller. I just replace the water heater tank in our 93 b190. I got the Atwood with direct ignition. I followed a combination of instructions I received with the tank, as well as the post Alaskan put up on here. I got everything in, and no leaks water or gas, and the gas lights up and runs fine. I'm not getting hot water though! I can only assume the thermostat is shot? It worked fine before the replacement. Or did I fry the circuit board? I didn't pull the whole pan out, I just pulled the tank out after disconnecting everything. Maybe I missed a step or just did something wrong. Thanks for the help!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Water heater troubleshooting?

Post by skater »

There are a few things that can go wrong. I'm assuming it's firing up and running normally, but shutting off before it heats up the water. For example, one thing that can go wrong is if you have a bypass on the water heater (for winterizing), and the bypass is active. It's easy enough to see if it's filling by opening the over pressure valve near the top in the outside access panel, water should come out.

If you know the water heater is filling with water, the thermostat and ECO are cheap and easy to replace. so you might as well start there. You just twist them a third of a turn and they pop out.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
JoeD
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: Water heater troubleshooting?

Post by JoeD »

There is water coming out of the relief valve, not hot either. I'm fairly certain there's no bypass, because the two valves that are by the tank both dump water under the van. The gas gets lit and runs but doesn't shut off tho......I'm thinking what you said to replace the eco and thermostat first.