Water leak in fridge caulking?

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
Denco
Weekend Camper

Water leak in fridge caulking?

Post by Denco »

Well my pride and joy just decided to leak water in front and under the fridg. I did search and it appears to happen with the caulking. Not much info was found on here that I could find, but it may just be obvious I need to pull the reefer and re caulk.

It has never leaked until today. Oh well thats how it happens.

OK so another question do you really need the top slatted vent deal above the access door? I see on later models they do not cut the body and ad this vent? can a guy block this? it just seems like a great place for water to get into that area..

Is this a big bummer getting the reffer out?

Sorry lots of questions here and any and all input is most appreciated..
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Re: Water leak in fridge caulking?

Post by Alaskan »

Yes....it needs that vent so the warm air created by the frig can easily exit. Without air-flow in back the frig struggles to maintain cool temperatures.

Some have actually added a little temp-controlled fan at the base of the frig pointed upward to maintain air flow....important if you're doing your camping in warmer climates.

On the 97 and newer rigs Airstream vented that area out the roof....
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yes, you need it. Our absorption fridges work by warming the liquid in the coils up, and as it cools it "pulls" the heat from the fridge compartment. What makes the liquid cool down? Exposure to the air outside. You definitely need air moving over those coils, or the coils will warm the air to the point where the fridge will no longer work.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Thanks guys very much. it looks like i will have to pull my fridge to seal the bottom fridge floor area, i got a good amount of water leaking this last rain. heaters and humidifiers took care of the clean up.

How hard is that reefer to get out?
Electraglide
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by Electraglide »

Are you sure that the leak is from the fridge? I had a wet area in front of the fridge last summer and found that it was the back doors that were leaking. The water ran across the vinyl by the toilet and then on to the rug. Happened several times and I couldn't figure it out since the vinyl dryed quickly. Check the door gaskets.
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Electraglide wrote:Are you sure that the leak is from the fridge? I had a wet area in front of the fridge last summer and found that it was the back doors that were leaking. The water ran across the vinyl by the toilet and then on to the rug. Happened several times and I couldn't figure it out since the vinyl dryed quickly. Check the door gaskets.

Dang I wish, its coming from the calked area just below the finished edge of the reefer(inside). I would guess thay all look like this: grey thick bead of calking just below the fridge structure inside the coach, almost like they fill a gap in cabinetery and seal that edge. I will assume it looks the same inside the fridge pocket "if you will" that they made and sealed from outside weather then installed the fridge. I am talking about the pocket/cabinet that has the drain in it, that runs down the rear fender. Hard to explain but prolly not to you!!
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

I had a similar problem with my 93, Try this thread: http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=476. Turned out to be a fairly simple fix
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

weekender wrote:I had a similar problem with my 93, Try this thread: http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=476. Turned out to be a fairly simple fix

Great thread, I am certain mine is from the floor pan (well 99.9 sure LOL) the drain hole is above the lowest part of the floor pan on mine. But all the idea's about a dam and so on really gets me thinking outside the box, or outside the floor pan LOL!! My brain is working. Thanks much..

I have ran no water, tanks are empty, van has been sitting and it just started raining hard, the inside of the floor pan has standing water, pretty much a no brainer it's leaking into the coach from there. It never leaked before but there is always a first time................