Stabilizer Bars

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Stabilizer Bars

Post by Kentuckian »

I completed installing an anti-sway bar on the rear of our B. I purchased both front and rear bars. I've only had time to get the rear bar installed so far. I'll get right to the bottom line... wow! What a huge improvement in ride stability. I recently installed new HD shocks which made a big improvement in ride stability. This rear bar addition makes another huge improvement. Before the installation, I felt that I had to be constantly warry of taking curves too fast, warry of semi trucks passing and cross winds. With this addition there is a huge improvement in stability. Yes, this is still a big top heavy vehicle. But, it is so much more relaxing to drive than before. Vehicle response in curves is much more predictable. Cross winds are present but don't require significant steering adjustments to counter like it used to.

Oh... and I have not found any ill behavior by only installing the rear bar. The B already comes with a front bar. The replacement that I still have in box is just a little larger diameter bar. I'm really looking forward to getting the front bar installed as well. But, my point here is that if you don't have the money to do both. You can get away with just installing the rear bar for a huge improvement in stability.

The rear bar is the Hellwig Products model 7183 Rear Stabilizer Bar. Installation is a breeze. I finished the installation by myself in a little over an hour. Although, ramps would have been nice, I did all the work by sliding under the B in my driveway.
Attachments
Photo from installation manual.  Nice new rust free metal!
Photo from installation manual. Nice new rust free metal!
Rear 7183 small.jpg (74.75 KiB) Viewed 29893 times
Last edited by Kentuckian on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Stabilizer Bars

Post by Kentuckian »

Here is a photo of the bar installed...
Attachments
IMG_0633 small.jpg
IMG_0633 small.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 29892 times
1993 Airstream B190
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Thanks for the post - looks like a great addition at a reasonable cost.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Great post. Do you think it's worth $200 for the better ride? I put Bilstein shocks on last year and they made a huge difference. Thanks.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Ordered mine yesterday-- did Blistein's about a month ago-- big difference, would like to have even more stability with the sway bar
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Lido,

I hate to spend your money for you... But from my point of view, adding the rear anti sway bar makes a pronounced improvement in stability. If you are comfortable driving your B as is, then maybe you don't need to spend the money.

As for me, I was always uncomfortable because I was always warry of needing to be ready to correct the steering from deep dips on one side of the road, going over uneven pavement like railroad tracks, wondering how the vehicle was going to handle a rapid evasive maneuver, being blown around when a semi truck passed etc. Frankly when I'm using the B its because I want to go on a trip to relax and driving it wasn't relaxing. That may just be me and my B. After the shocks and adding the rear bar I find driving the B much more relaxing. Its still not a sports car... but noticeably more well behaved.

If you plan on using the vehicle frequently and keeping it for awhile, I think it is a worth while investment with a noticeable benefit for the money. Good luck with your decision!

Once I get some time to install the replacement front bar, I'll report back again.
Last edited by Kentuckian on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Airstream B190
RobertS
Weekend Camper

Post by RobertS »

There is a post about installing sway bars on the forum from 2007 that inspired me to upgrade WW B19 with rear and larger front sway bars. It is the best improvement in ten years of ownership. Easy installation and very reasonable cost. Just do it!!! I posted the following after the 2010 installation.
SS

Postby RobertS » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:18 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After reading this post i was inspired to upgrade the 1992 B190 White Whale (WW) For years I swayed down the road always jealous of other motor homes with finer road manners. I ordered both front and rear sway bars on e-bay, picked up four new Monroe shocks at my favorite parts store, and went to work. The front and rear sway kits were available on e-bay, both with shipping for $400.00.
The road test after installing new Monroe Gas Magna shocks 555031 , 555032, ( front and rear ) and Hellwig sway bars 7604, 7183, ( front and rear ) is complete. What a huge improvement to road control at both low and high speed. Wish I would have done this nine years ago!!! I am very happy with the result and now look forward to highway speeds!!
Thank you for the very detailed article inspiring me to improve my safety!!
SS
1992 B19 E350 460ci
WW White Whale
RobertS

1992 B19 E350 460ci
WW White Whale
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Today I got around to installing the front Hellwig antisway bar and took the B out for a test drive. It is a noticeable improvement over the factory front bar. Adding the front and rear antisway bars just makes a tremendous improvement in stability making the B so much more enjoyable to drive. Well worth the money and effort!
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

We just got back from vacation... 800 miles of twisting turning roads in the West Virginia mountains....

Anti sway bar addition? :D :D :D :D
1993 Airstream B190
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Hi Kentuckian,

Did you have to do any drilling during the rear bar installation?

Thanks!
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Reddeer,
Yes, I had to enlarge an existing hole in the rear frame on each side of the vehicle in order to fit the bolts that secure the vertical rod that connects the sway bar to the frame. Other than being a large drill bit... it was an easy job.
1993 Airstream B190
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Thanks Kentuckian for the quick response. I think I saw a older post that the hole had to go from 1/4" diameter to 1/2". Was that your experience? I need to buy some metal bits to gear up.

Thanks,
Marc
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Reddeer,
That sounds about correct... I don't remember the specifics now though. It was not a big deal. I used progressive size drill bits to enlarge the hole in small increments until I got to the specified size. The steel cut well with a little oil on the standard driil bits.
1993 Airstream B190
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Thanks Kentuckian!
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

I'll jump in here since I recently did the rear install. Yes, you'll need to enlarge an existing hole on the frame to 1/2". I spent about fifteen bucks on a good drill bit and it took just a couple of minutes to enlarge the hole. I'd been trying to slowly enlarge the hole with some bits i already had for close to an hour with no luck. It does pay to have the right tools! thinking of replacing the front swaybar this year. I have to say the rear bar and some Bilstein shocks have made our 92 a joy to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk