Suspension Upgrade vs 4wd Conversion

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Suspension Upgrade vs 4wd Conversion

Post by jb1rd73 »

After speaking at length with Ramsey at Agile Offroad in California I have decided to go with a 2" lift-block and rear helper spring combo along with a new set of progressive rate Springs and custom valved Fox shocks at all four corners. I wont be able to get it installed before the move back to Colorado but look forward to doing it as soon as I get there. Here is a link to his site. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.
http://agileoffroad.com/wordpress/ride- ... t-package/
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Re: Suspension Upgrade vs 4wd Conversion

Post by VT964x4 »

Your decision makes a lot of sense to me. In a fit of mid-life crisis, I went for the full 4WD upgrade from Boulder Off-Road which includes a completely new front end, big bilstein shocks all around, anti-sway bars front and rear and big rims and tires bfg 275/70r 17s. Changed the gearing to a 3:73. My goal was to be able to get up forest roads and find spots off the beaten path and I can do that--at least as far as a 10,000lb 11' high vehicle can... :) The front has the big springs as you are getting. The ride is really great when it is in 4W High, steering tightens up and it handles like an Audi on steroids. But, these things are top heavy and even when it was 2WD it rocked, still does, but in a very different way and is not buffeted by trucks at all. I love driving it at 50mph along our two-lane highways in VT and easing up dirt roads. Big highway driving is fine, but not what I got it for. Need to find more time to get away, as I am sure we all do... BUT, the 4WD conversion was a heap of money and if you are not going up forest roads not worth the extra dollars. I will be very interested to hear how things work out for you... In your pics there seems to be a really interesting shock that runs parallel to the rear axle to help with rear anti-sway, looks like a great addition. Keep us posted. Happy driving!
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by micabarry »

Where in VT? I'm about to get my 1st B190 in Sept (driving it out from the southwest) & would love to see your conversion. I'm in Burl area but travel.
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by jb1rd73 »

Micabarry, feel free to stop in if you are going through Colorado we are in the Vail area
stomper18
B190 Year: 1999

Post by stomper18 »

jb1rd73 wrote:Micabarry, feel free to stop in if you are going through Colorado we are in the Vail area
Hello jb1rd73 I'm Alan and I'm in Central Denver.
I just purchased the 1999 that was for sale on this site.
I'd love to chat about your experience with your rig as I consider what direction to take with mine.
Maybe I could drive up to vail and chat in person.
Thanks