Buying it back...

Restoring a B190? Start a thread here so we can follow your progress!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Buying it back...

Post by skater »

Well, I was going to wait until the deal was actually done, but we gave the seller a pretty sizable deposit today, so what the heck. We're buying my old B190 back!

First, thanks to Sub2RainEN for pointing it out to me. We went and visited it, and found it...well, it's a mixed bag. The upholstery and floors were redone right after I sold it, and the current owner also fixed the rust and repainted some of the stripes. That's good, but it needs a good amount of work, too - the curtains are shot, the side window needs to be replaced, it may not have been winterized properly, and a few other things. Its bones are good, but it has rough edges.

So, we'll be doing a restoration on it over the next few years.

My first steps will be to get it usable - new tires, oil change, check the plug wires, etc. The current owner only put about 1,000 miles on it over the last 5.5 years, so I want to spend some quality time under the hood checking hoses and belts. It definitely needs to spend some time in local travel before hitting the road, to work out any kinks without getting stranded far from home. Inside, we need to do curtains, plumbing, work on the fridge, etc. I don't know how old the gasoline in the tanks is (or, how much there is, since the gauge doesn't work). The keys for the water fill and generator cabinet are missing.

Long term, I want to replace the Fantastic Fan, update the shore power connection, put in a new fridge, new bathroom fan, backup camera, and who knows what else...

The Airstream VIN was missing. I realized that it was likely discarded as a result of the crash. However, on the upside, I finally found it in my email, so I do have it after all. Anyone have one of those letter/number punch kits and a piece of aluminum? 1B9KGVA24MJ300276
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Re: Buying it back...

Post by 190-b-651 »

skater wrote:Well, I was going to wait until the deal was actually done, but we gave the seller a pretty sizable deposit today, so what the heck. We're buying my old B190 back!

First, thanks to Sub2RainEN for pointing it out to me. We went and visited it, and found it...well, it's a mixed bag. The upholstery and floors were redone right after I sold it, and the current owner also fixed the rust and repainted some of the stripes. That's good, but it needs a good amount of work, too - the curtains are shot, the side window needs to be replaced, it may not have been winterized properly, and a few other things. Its bones are good, but it has rough edges.

So, we'll be doing a restoration on it over the next few years.

My first steps will be to get it usable - new tires, oil change, check the plug wires, etc. The current owner only put about 1,000 miles on it over the last 5.5 years, so I want to spend some quality time under the hood checking hoses and belts. It definitely needs to spend some time in local travel before hitting the road, to work out any kinks without getting stranded far from home. Inside, we need to do curtains, plumbing, work on the fridge, etc. I don't know how old the gasoline in the tanks is (or, how much there is, since the gauge doesn't work). The keys for the water fill and generator cabinet are missing.

Long term, I want to replace the Fantastic Fan, update the shore power connection, put in a new fridge, new bathroom fan, backup camera, and who knows what else...

The Airstream VIN was missing. I realized that it was likely discarded as a result of the crash. However, on the upside, I finally found it in my email, so I do have it after all. Anyone have one of those letter/number punch kits and a piece of aluminum? 1B9KGVA24MJ300276
Wow great news skater!
You must be excited.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

190-b-651 wrote:Wow great news skater!
You must be excited.
It's a mix of excitement and "what have I done".

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Congrats, what were the chances !!
ZachS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by ZachS »

Choptop wrote:Congrats, what were the chances !!
This is a love story for all time! Welcome back.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by SeaQuinn »

I'm sobbing tears of joy like I did at the end of Lasie Come Home! :) Congrats Skater!
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Skater your officially a member of your own group welcome.
Officially the official. Lol

Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Sub2RainEN »

While it would have been an honor to have your old rig, congrats on bringing her home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Welcome back?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Well, it's home! We had new tires installed. I had it up just over 55 mph without a major problem.

A few things I've noticed already:
--It stalled and wouldn't restart for a few minutes at the tire place. Probably just bad fuel, but it only took 11 gallons (mostly in the rear tank), which means I have a lot of old gas to run out.
--It spilled some gas on the ground when I was filling the rear tank. Rusted fuel filler pipe?
--Steering seemed a bit loose. Took me a while to get used to it.
--Lots of belt squeal, definitely need to look into that.
--There might have been some pinging, or something rattling, I'm not sure. It was definitely in the front somewhere. If it is pinging, it might have something to do with the fuel.
--Headlight switch was a little funky for me. It might just need some use, though.
--The brake pedal seems a bit low. I plan to check the brakes on all four wheels before we go far.

I got it home and plugged it in to get the coach battery charging. I have the supplies to do an oil change tomorrow; the oil in it could be the same oil I last put in it.

Side note: Why did they ever get rid of foot-pedal high beam switches?!

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Well good, now you won't only be addressing our questions and issues, but your own as well. Will this be the new tow rig for your
"other" Airstream or it's own little camping getaway vehicle?
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Skater I've often wondered why the foot switch was done away with to.

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Choptop wrote:Well good, now you won't only be addressing our questions and issues, but your own as well. Will this be the new tow rig for your
"other" Airstream or it's own little camping getaway vehicle?
No, our truck tows so well that I'd never want to tow the trailer with the B190. For example, the B190 gets 9 mpg or so, solo. The truck gets 13 mpg while towing. Plus our trailer would be over the specs for the B190.

It's mostly a project vehicle, but we probably will use it for overnight trips. We might drive it to an amusement park, the hit a campground for the night, the drive home the next day. Things like that. We also may lend it to friends and family-we know a couple people that would love RV camping but don't have the space or means to afford a camper.

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Sounds like a plan Skater.
skater
Site Admin

Buying it back...

Post by skater »

Well, it definitely needs a deep cycle battery. Before I went to look at it, I assumed that would be the case, but when we saw it, I saw the battery had been replaced, so I was hopeful. This morning I was smelling sulfur but didn't quite put together what that meant, until I opened the hood to put a charger on the engine battery. Then I saw the steam coming off the deep cycle battery. It's reading around 10 volts. And it was hot. Good thing I caught it when I did, because that was heading for a major mess!

More trouble getting it started and keeping it running this morning, too.

Edit: 154 degrees F on the top of the battery...and this was after cooling down for 10-15 minutes on a cool morning!