Anyone replace your standard lighting with LEDs?

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
Blair
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Blair »

I currently own a Sportsmobile, but will probably replace with a B190.

I have talked with people in my SMB group who have replaced the factory installed lighting with LEDs, and it greatly reduces power consumption.

Anyone here done that?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I always wanted to, but never got around to it. In our case, we always camped with electricity, so it wasn't really a priority for us.

I am planning to do some LED conversions to our new trailer though. In addition to replacing interior lights, they make LED panels that entirely replace the taillights, for example, and I wouldn't mind switching to LED marker lights.... 8)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Blair
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Blair »

what is the benefit to replacing exterior lights with LEDs?
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Blair wrote:what is the benefit to replacing exterior lights with LEDs?
On the B190 I wouldn't bother. The aftermarket LEDs frequently just don't look as good or aren't as bright. For the trailer, which actually has replacement fixtures available, it just looks cooler. :) There's no real benefit in terms of power saving though since the truck (and B190 engine) can handle what's there without a problem via the alt.

goinmobile
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by goinmobile »

I saw replacement bulbs in town that fit right into the existing fixtures. I'm going to try them too as I am a night owl and use a lot of juice. I'll post on their performance.
-2 celsius tonight here and the genny's got the heastrip going. Hope to head south mid october.
Blair
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Blair »

Ok, thanks.

Hope you are in warmer area soon.
Denco
Weekend Camper

Re: Anyone replace your standard lighting with LEDs?

Post by Denco »

I did and I love it, definitely less power consumption and with today's super bright leds its way worth the effort. We changed the one above the sink and it is brighter and way better than the stock fluorescent but in the same package, you just remove the transformer and slip in the new tube.

I also added leds to light up the driving area via the existing overhead lamp fixtures. Many I just swapped with ready to go leds in the factory sockets and many I added in dark places. We love them.. Leds are way worth the money if you do it correctly....

I also did some remote so you can turn off on from the drivers seat.. Easy NO- Worth it YES...
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

I replaced the Double Pancake overhead light in the coach this weekend. Looks so much better, uses 85% less energy and doesn't burn a hole in the plastic covers like the old one does. That sucker was hot!. Costs about 40 bucks at Camper World and it took me about 10 minutes to swap it out, very easy.

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
RCR
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1995

Post by RCR »

This looks like an upgrade I'll be doing soon also. Thanks for the tips.
1995 WHITE B190 7.5L - 108k
Banks PowerPack System installed 4/2012
Helig Swaybars installed 1/2012
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

I got a couple bulbs from led4rv.com for our trailer today, and installed them. I ordered them Wednesday night and received them today - quick service; they shipped them that evening.

These are pretty large. I can't think of any place in the 1991 B190 that would use them, but the reading lights in newer ones would use this. Definitely check size if you're going to order one - they're much larger than I was expecting. They do fit in the reading lights but I don't think it'll really work that well.

I got one of these for our overhead light, and it's the same bulb as the aforementioned reading lights. I think this would work pretty well - it looked good when I tested it (in the daytime - we haven't tried it in the dark yet). I suspect I'll be buying more of these.

Also got one of these for our closet light.

KarlKennedy
New User
B190 Year: 2001

Post by KarlKennedy »

Blair wrote:I currently own a Sportsmobile, but will probably replace with a B190.

I have talked with people in my SMB group who have replaced the factory installed lighting with
led lights, and it greatly reduces power consumption.

Anyone here done that?
Hello friend I have got new led lights.. Yes these lights are very affordable and bright too..it does remove power consumption so very effective lights indeed..