Beware of Scammers

List your B190 and related items here
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Beware of Scammers

Post by skater »

Other forums I'm on have had people who were selling stuff get private messages from scammers about the items for sale. The messages are pretty obviously scams - asking for your bank details and similar info. If you get such a message through this site, please let me know and I'll deal with it.

Thanks.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Re: Beware of Scammers

Post by Minniemouse »

Update on SCAMS. We recently listed our RV generator for sale on craigslist.org. Did not realize it was a scam at first. It was a over payment scam. We received a check by USPS for $2,000, our ad was for $1,200. We were to deposit it into our bank, wait for it to clear, then go to Walmart & send an instant moneygram for $800 to the "shipper", who we were told would come for the generator. All contact was by text message, two different phones, check from a Michigan company, sent from California, moneygram to be sent to Illinois. Craigslist instructed us to contact our law enforcement in NC. The officer reported that they use stolen checks. The report was transferred to Michigan. So when the buyer does not talk to you on the phone right away. STOP.
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

New update

Post by skater »

A user just emailed me and said they were taken in by a scam involving these pictures. After a couple messages back and forth, the scammer suggested they move to eBay for safety, but of course none of the email messages from eBay (and the links contained therein) were legit.

Note - I believe those pictures are legitimately from the owner of that B190 (a '96 with a blue ceiling), and the scammer simply linked to them from a Craigslist ad.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Beware of Scammers

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Thank you for explaining this scam. I have had several people try to run this on me when I offered tutoring services or tried to sell things on eBay. I did not understand how it worked, but the fact that they wanted to overpay me by thousands to fund the student's expenses or send me thousands to include when buying a $500 iPad, etc. was obviously fishy. I asked a few questions and they gave up.

Minniemouse wrote:Update on SCAMS. We recently listed our RV generator for sale on craigslist.org. Did not realize it was a scam at first. It was a over payment scam. We received a check by USPS for $2,000, our ad was for $1,200. We were to deposit it into our bank, wait for it to clear, then go to Walmart & send an instant moneygram for $800 to the "shipper", who we were told would come for the generator. All contact was by text message, two different phones, check from a Michigan company, sent from California, moneygram to be sent to Illinois. Craigslist instructed us to contact our law enforcement in NC. The officer reported that they use stolen checks. The report was transferred to Michigan. So when the buyer does not talk to you on the phone right away. STOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

B190 in Los Angeles for $4000

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Hi all,

I saw this ad yesterday on Airstream Forums. I thought perhaps the $4000 was a typo for $14,000. Then I recognized the two photos and the text about fabric not being put back properly after an a/c install from a rig that sold a few days ago on eBay. I contacted the eBay seller and the AF seller, thinking perhaps the latter was reselling. Honestly, $2,300 seemed like a small profit margin for the trouble of going to pick it up in TX and drive it back to CA. I would think that rig would sell for at least $16,000 here, there's one for $19,000 near Fresno.

Original eBay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331838647767?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Probably scam ad:
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/ads ... alifornia/

The eBay seller and they said they did not sell to anyone from CA. Obviously, that price was too good to be true, but I wanted people to be able to recognize the pictures in case they update the price.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
vandering
New User
B190 Year: 0

Re: Beware of Scammers ***LATEST SCAMS B190***

Post by vandering »

So,

I was almost taken today regarding a craigslist ad showing a 1997 B190 for $1500. They send an email with a sob story, divorce, ect, just want to get rid of. Anyway, originally they were going to send cash on delivery. Then an email to a fake amazon buy protection program. The "seller" wanted me to buy $1500 worth of Amazon gift cards and then email them all the code numbers. That was obviously BS. I don't know why they chose such a cool looking camper van to swindle people, but be careful. I click "prohibited item" on any ad I see after googling for possible scam results. There is another guy posting all over the country with a phone number of 650- 532-3899. That is a SCAM. Lily Campbell of Provost Utah with her $1500 1997 B190 is a SCAM. The scammers are getting pretty good. I actually called Amazon with the order number and they verified there is no such thing as a buyer protection program for vehicle sales. They also do not have the option of paying with gift cards.

If you can't use a credit card through a legit website or pay cash in person with the title that matches the vin in the window, its probably a SCAM!

Buyers beware. I hope if enough of us keep our eyes open for these type of Craigslist ads we can discourage them enough to choose a different bait vehicle. It takes only a second to click the prohibited box at the top of the ad. Hopefully we put a large enough dent in their operations.

TJ