Choosing an RV Fridge

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
Sector9surf
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Choosing an RV Fridge

Post by Sector9surf »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, but have just purchased a B190 camper van and am upgrading the interior. I would like to purchase a top-loading propane or 12v refrigerator. (I'm considering a cooling unit kit)

I've found that most of the big names ie: Norcold, Dometic... don't sell top loading 3-way fridges. I have found that Portagaz to be the only one (which makes me skeptical).

A few other companies which aren't propane, but are extremely efficient are; ARB fridge/ freezers, Engel, Truckfridge, and Sundanzer. (These fridges claim to use 1- 3.5Ah... Sundanzer is claiming 10Ah/day)

http://www.solarpanelstore.com/pdf/SunDanzer50L.pdf

Either way, I would like to purchase a kit or cooler which is top loaded and preferably LP/12v/120v due to our limited battery bank and solar panel size.

What can you guys recommend?

Thanks!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Choosing an RV Fridge

Post by skater »

I deleted your other thread - two separate threads will just cause confusion.

I had no idea that top loading fridges and freezers were even an option for RVs. Interesting. The link you posted isn't clear, but it looks like those are absorption fridges/freezers (not compressor-driven), which would be more energy efficient.

I'd keep an eye on the power draw of those compared to a regular fridge - you wouldn't want to get a fridge/freezer that actually draws more power than the one you're trying to avoid.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit