Gas tank capacity

Engine and transmission questions

Gas tank capacity

Postby Choptop » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Can't seem to remember the capacities, individually, on the dual tanks of my '90, can someone help a guy out. thanks
User avatar
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby skater » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Mine was 15 in the front and 22 in the rear.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby Choptop » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Thank you.
User avatar
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby Choptop » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 am

I posted the question of gas tank capacities because after I had done my tune up I took Aunt B for a drive and on the way back it acted like it wasn't getting gas, similar to my original problem, but not the same. I thought that the previous owner had told me he ran off the front tank, but actually I think he told me the rear or I had a brain fart because I was running off the front tank and had about 130 miles or so into it when I had that issue, so I think I was low on the front and that may have been my initial problem, or not. Will start running off the rear, remember my gas gauges don't work, and I was told to switch tanks @150 miles or so by the previous owner.
User avatar
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby skater » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Choptop wrote:I posted the question of gas tank capacities because after I had done my tune up I took Aunt B for a drive and on the way back it acted like it wasn't getting gas, similar to my original problem, but not the same. I thought that the previous owner had told me he ran off the front tank, but actually I think he told me the rear or I had a brain fart because I was running off the front tank and had about 130 miles or so into it when I had that issue, so I think I was low on the front and that may have been my initial problem, or not. Will start running off the rear, remember my gas gauges don't work, and I was told to switch tanks @150 miles or so by the previous owner.


Yeah. Figure, say, 9 mpg, so with 15 gallons (ignoring the generator, which complicates the math), you have a theoretical range of 135 miles, and with 22 gallons, it's ~198 miles. I think I used 100 miles on the front tank, and 170 for the rear. Obviously if you're towing or climbing a lot of hills (or both), you'll use more fuel...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby Choptop » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Looking back on some B literature it shows '89/'90 w/41 gallons of gas, '91 and newer w/35, could the front be larger than 15 gal ?
User avatar
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby skater » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:06 am

Choptop wrote:Looking back on some B literature it shows '89/'90 w/41 gallons of gas, '91 and newer w/35, could the front be larger than 15 gal ?


I'll double check. The most I ever put in my front tank was 15.6 gallons, and the rear was 21.3. Specs online just seem to say 22 gallons, and we know that's not right (rear tank only). Rock Auto has a 19 gallon tank listed for the front, so it looks like I'm wrong! (Weird, because I'm sure I ran that front tank dry at least once or twice.)

The definitive answer should be in the Ford owner's manual. Ford's website doesn't go back that far, though.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby Choptop » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 am

I'm thinking it might be 19/22 because I went to the gas station to fill up before our hopefully, 1st longer drive and night in Aunt B and I put 16.2 gallons in the front tank after having it sputter , about a week or so back, before I switched to rear tank.
User avatar
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby mountaindent » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:58 pm

skater wrote:
Choptop wrote:Looking back on some B literature it shows '89/'90 w/41 gallons of gas, '91 and newer w/35, could the front be larger than 15 gal ?


I'll double check. The most I ever put in my front tank was 15.6 gallons, and the rear was 21.3. Specs online just seem to say 22 gallons, and we know that's not right (rear tank only). Rock Auto has a 19 gallon tank listed for the front, so it looks like I'm wrong! (Weird, because I'm sure I ran that front tank dry at least once or twice.)

The definitive answer should be in the Ford owner's manual. Ford's website doesn't go back that far, though.


I have been reading about the front gas tank and rear gas tank in many posts and thinking what am I missing here? This van is 1992 and I only see one gas tank that is to be filled. I did have a truck years ago and each side had a gas cap for filling but, this one has only one(I think!). Inquiring minds want to know...who has two tanks(front and rear)?
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby Choptop » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Mine is a '90, they went to (1) tank in '91 or '92 I believe.
User avatar
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby skater » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Choptop wrote:Mine is a '90, they went to (1) tank in '91 or '92 I believe.


1992 with the new body style. (Van year 1992, that is.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby mountaindent » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:51 pm

Glad there is only one tank....I have enough to think about with bringing this old girl back. I enjoy driving this truck, love the comfort the truck gives me camping.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby Choptop » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:50 pm

mountaindent wrote:Glad there is only one tank....I have enough to think about with bringing this old girl back. I enjoy driving this truck, love the comfort the truck gives me camping.


I really do love driving it, wish I only had one tank, still get confused/forget which is which sometimes, no biggy I guess. Main thing is I don't have any issues w/the switch valve between the 2 tanks. This weekend, as I was going down I94 and the cruise kicked out as I started to slow down , I switched tanks and got going again, @ 134 miles after filling up, I thought I was on the back tank and averaging 65 mph I thought that big tank went fast, but I was on the front one... :)
User avatar
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby Sub2RainEN » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:20 am

Then there's me, with 35 up front and 18 in the back. I can drive forever! Have not tested out that theory yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
User avatar
Sub2RainEN
Weekend Camper
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Gas tank capacity

Postby mountaindent » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Would love to see what the switch looks like in the cab area if anyone has a photo showing the tank 1 or tank 2 of gas.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Next

Return to Drivetrain

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron