Intermittent Missing / Jerky at cruising operation

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
Roger
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 5888

Intermittent Missing / Jerky at cruising operation

Post by Roger »

Hi to all ;

I've recently purchased a '94 B190 in FL and drove it home in MN and it ran like a charm. recently it has started a intermittent engine miss / jerky operation. I've taken the B190 to the local Ford dealership to get the problem resolved and today I received a call that all codes check good BUT they do see the problem when doing the test ride. They are unable to repair the problem after replacing Throttle plates; testing and cleaning all injectors; replacing the PCV valve. Also I should add that occationally I can smell gas fumes.
Does anyone have some ideas as to what I can replace or ?

The Bvan is a '94 5.7 460 Ford

Thanks,
Roger Arnesen
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I'm sort of thinking the same thing the dealer is - induction cleaning.

First thing I'd do is get a can of BG44K. It's expensive ($22?) or something, but it does work very well. You dump it in your gas tank as a fuel system cleaner. It's only available at service shops that carry BG products; you won't find it at Autozone. If you can't find it, or don't feel like looking, Seafoam is also highly recommended and should be available at your local parts store. Dump either one in the gas tank and run it through the engine per the directions - it just may do it, and it's not going to hurt.

This is assuming the fuel and air filters are in good shape (if you haven't changed them since you bought it, do so - they're easy and cheap).

If that doesn't work, my next step would be to check the plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor (again, if you haven't changed/checked them already). Those are all fairly easy except that ONE spark plug is a BEAR to get to (the one on the driver's side, all the way forward).
Last edited by skater on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

fuel system problem...

with injection a large part of the fuel is returned to the fuel tank...this sound like a lack of fuel or fuel pressure.....this problem may not be detacted in the Ford dealer shop hooked up to the computer, only under load at road speed.

I'd take it to another Ford dealer and show them what the first dealer had done w/o finding the problem
Roger

Thanks For the input

Post by Roger »

Alaskan & skater,

Thanks for your input. I think the dealer is on a mission by calling other dealers to find input from a mechanic that has resolved this issue in the past. I'll keep you guys up on the status.

What a great site !!!

Thanks,
Roger 5888
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks for checking back Roger..

Let us know what resolves that problem...
Roger

The Final Solution

Post by Roger »

It took a long time and a few $$$$ but the solution to the Jerky problem turns out to be a computer problem. The computer was taken out by a tune up shop, sent in for repair and software upgrade and now my B Van runs like a top. My next adventure with this unit is Coach wiring,,,,Thanks everyone for your input.

Roger
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by ChasingRain »

I had the same problem with mine. After new plugs, wire, coils, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, and fuel system cleaner, it was still there. Round too cost a lot to diagnose (and repair), new Oxygen sensor, MAP sensor, Distributor Stator, ignition module, and rewiring some of the grounds to the PCM. Now it's good at cruising speed, but still missing a little at idle, which they said was probably a bad or dirty injector, but it's good enough for now.
Roger

Finally the root of the problem

Post by Roger »

After many dollars spent on the problem a new "UPGRADED" computer module corrected the problem. Runs like a top
baggydew
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by baggydew »

I have experienced the same problem with my 1994 B-190, Started acting up a year ago at 90K after 30K faultless miles of my driving. I have changed everything and checked everything EXCEPT computer. I can't find a rebuilt computer anywhere. Where are they available and how much do they cost? Help!!!
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

It looks like spayallpets had the same problem with the computer. :( They were able to get one from Airstream, if I understood what they were saying.

RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

ECM

Post by RobertL »

This is a common problem with the 7.5.
After many years of sitting around or running around the ECM tends to go completely bonkers.
Mine acted up this Friday. After the engine warmed up a bit the stalling begins. Letting it cool down for an hour or so allowed me to run it.

This of course was after a $400 plus tow charge to move it across the blazingly hot desert of Nevada back to Vegas.

ECM are readily available from a number of companies, programmed to your specific VIN#.

Mine was done by Solo Electronics Company.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

I'm going to lock this, since better/updated info is available in the other thread that's linked above.