Oil Pressure Sender

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
MoJo
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Oil Pressure Sender

Post by MoJo »

Greetings,

My oil pressure gauge has been on the high side lately, so I decided to try to get a new oil pressure sender. However, now having the part, I have no idea where it goes. Does anyone have any idea where the oil pressure sender would be on an 89 460? And, to preempt my next inevitable post, how to install it?

Thanks
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

From my Chilton's manual...

First, make sure you have the gauge type - apparently there is also a type that is just for the idiot light, and they are not interchangeable.

From what I understand based on the text and graphic in the manual, the oil pressure sender is located at the back of the engine, just in front of where it mates to the transmission. It appears to be on the top of the engine, which means it'd be under the engine cover in the passenger compartment. It may also be underneath, but I really think they're trying to show it on top.

Once you find it: unplug the connector, unscrew it, put teflon tape on the new one (or pipe sealant), screw it in and tighten it to 8-18 ft. lbs, connect the wire, and test. So that part is pretty simple.

However, there is a testing procedure:
1. Key in run, engine off: unplug the wiring at the sender. The gauge should read on the LOW graduation or below.
2. Attach the wiring connector to the engine block (ground). The gauge should read just slightly above mid-scale.
3. If the oil pressure gauge tests within spec, replace the oil pressure switch.
4. If the gauge tests out of calibration, replace the oil pressure gauge.

(351 owners - your pressure switch is located elsewhere, it appears to be just above the oil filter.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit