Rear fuel tank pump....?

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
jwm
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Rear fuel tank pump....?

Post by jwm »

I started this discussion in new owner forum but figured it should be here. When I drove about 150 miles (mostly interstate)after purchase, It would run fine on front tank. Then when switched to rear it sputtered and engine shut off. I filled the tank to be sure it was not gauge. This happened three times. It started right up after switching back to front. Well I took it to mechanic and he reports it is now running on both tanks and switches back and forth OK. He says it may be switch or airlock ?? Prior owner says he had replaced the in tank fuel pump about a year ago after having similar problems. I searched and read a number of posts about pump problems. Since I am never too far from fuel I may just wait to see what happens. Any other suggestions?
It is 1991 < 70K miles with 460 and a replacement Jasper trans. also has generator.

Thanks, JW
swampy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989

Re: rear fuel tank pump?

Post by swampy »

I have been told by a very experienced Mechanic on US vehicles that running out of fuel at any time causes the in tank pumps to overheat this can lead to failure either at the time or some considerable time after.

Hope this helps Swampy.
jwm
B190 Year: 1991

Post by jwm »

I have never heard that, but it certainly could explain the pump problems that seem to be common in this model. I guess most folks would run on one tank until empty then switch. I once had a Ford F250 with 460 and dual tanks. It had a manual valve under the seat. I always ran the tank empty then switched. No problems for over 200K miles. Maybe the electric switch set-up would be different.
Thanks for the info.

JW
swampy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989

Post by swampy »

I also forgot I think there can be a problem if one tank is left out of use for long periods with the valves inside the pumps sticking , think it is best to alternate use occasionally .

Swampy. :wink:
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

JW......update us on your rear fuel tank issue.

This is a frequent problem with the 90-91 E350 vans, fuel injection rigs......its usually always the complicated plastic fuel pressure-activated switch under the rig where all the tanks lines and return lines meet up.....with fuel injection our rigs have return lines running back to the fuel tanks through this switch mechanism and from that return-pressure the switch is activated....I've had one all apart, its a complicated assortment of valves and check-balls. I think when a rig sits for extended periods of time, thats a problem for this switch.

Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Re: Rear fuel tank pump....?

Post by Alaskan »