Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

Increasing Overall capacity of the fuel tanks

Post by VT964x4 »

Dear B190 owners,

I am posting in the 'Drivetrain' subject line as it seems closest. Has anyone ever added an extra fuel tank to increase the capacity to near 50+ gallons? My '96 claims to have a 35 gallon tank although when it hits "E" the most it will take is 22 gallons--either that is good news as there is still 13 gallons in there at "E" or it is not a 35 gallon tank..Some versions of the B190 came with two tanks, but as I understand it that still took the capacity to about 37 (15 and 22 gallon tanks respectively). There is a nice parallel spot alongside the current tank in which a nearby 4x4 custom shop could fit another 20-25 gallon tank if I rally want to spring for the cash. Given that I have a 4x4 conversion and the big 460 I am driving a thirsty vehicle. Having a 50+ gallon tank would enable a lot more security and comfort when far away from a gas pump. Has anyone tried to do add an extra gas tank? Many thanks,
JML in VT / 96 4x4
Marko Polo
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Increasing Overall capacity of the fuel tanks

Post by Marko Polo »

Never tried to add one, but...

My '94 has two tanks, total of 30 +/- gallons I believe. A third could be doable? Never really looked around down there with that in mind.

I have a Chevy C4500 which does not read the amount of fuel in the second tank. I.E., I fill it up, and it goes to 3/4. Pain in the butt for trying to figure out how much gas is left...

Anyways, hope this helps. Gluck.
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Thanks, I have also been looking at these sites:
http://rotopax.com/ & http://store.adventuretrailers.com/wedc ... compliant/ as possible cheaper options, but that require a formal attachment system. Never simple... :)
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Update on fuel capacity of a 1996: I scooted underneath the van (the 4x4 lift is helpful in that regard...) and measured the gas tank: approx. 58" long, 14" wide and 10" deep for a total volume of 8120 cubic inches. As I understand it, a gallon of unleaded gas = 231 cubic inches. 8120 inches divided by 231 inches = 35.1 gallons. And that is what is what everyone keeps saying we have. [A local Ford dealer did not recognize the particular tank and was not sure of its capacity.] Yet, thus far, when the gauge is on "E," and I fill it up, it takes a max of 25 gallons. I have been nervous about pushing it too far. However, it does seem that there is still 10 gallons left in there as claimed. Now, the next test is to run it around on "E" while in town with a filled 5 gallon can on hand to double check if my measurements are correct...
B190 in VT
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

VT964x4 wrote:Update on fuel capacity of a 1996: I scooted underneath the van (the 4x4 lift is helpful in that regard...) and measured the gas tank: approx. 58" long, 14" wide and 10" deep for a total volume of 8120 cubic inches. As I understand it, a gallon of unleaded gas = 231 cubic inches. 8120 inches divided by 231 inches = 35.1 gallons. And that is what is what everyone keeps saying we have. [A local Ford dealer did not recognize the particular tank and was not sure of its capacity.] Yet, thus far, when the gauge is on "E," and I fill it up, it takes a max of 25 gallons. I have been nervous about pushing it too far. However, it does seem that there is still 10 gallons left in there as claimed. Now, the next test is to run it around on "E" while in town with a filled 5 gallon can on hand to double check if my measurements are correct...
B190 in VT
I wonder if the float in your tank is bad. They sit in gasoline for years on end, so sooner or later they develop leaks and stop floating correctly. On my B190, neither tank gauge worked reliably so I'd "dead reckon" the amount of fuel in the tanks by using 9 mpg (I was usually towing a car), and by running down the tanks I knew the front was 15 gallons and the rear was 22 gallons, so I would go 100 miles on the front tank and 200 miles on the rear tank (giving myself some reserve). Naturally, using the generator, which drew only from the front tank, complicated the calculations a lot.

I suggest getting a 5 gallon can of gas and drive it until it dies. Get yourself to a fuel station, run it dry again, then fill it and see what you get. Good luck.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Roger that, good thought about the floater--that makes sense.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Hey VT964x4: Did you ever run your tank dry? Do you, in fact, have the 35-gallon tank? I was going to try the same thing, but lost my nerve thinking about the potential repercussions of running out of gas in a bad spot, or plugging an injector. Like you, I can only fit 25 gallons of fuel when the gauge says "E". Like you, my tank dimensions would indicate a bigger volume than that. Let us know the results of your experiment. Thanks!
Keystone
B190 4x4
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

With the Ujoint kit Chris sells a shortened tank (drive train reasons) but increases capacity by 3 gals, to 38. Not sure about what mine is at the moment as I never let it drop below a 1/4 tank. I guess one could strap a 5gal jerry on and let it run dry.
twistedskipper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Post by twistedskipper »

Just another data point: My 1999 is specified to have a 35g fuel tank. On our first long trip, just completed, I could put in around 23-25g when the tank read around 1/4, which seems about right. When I ran until the needle was pointing straight through the middle of the "E", I put in 31g. So, in my case, I'm pretty sure 35g is correct. I don't know, however, just how much further I could have gotten without running the fuel below the pick up line.
--
Tim
1999 B190
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Thank you for all the replies. I have been away from VT, without the B190 and so have not been able to 'run it dry' (an idea which did make me really nervous the lower to 'E' I got... :( I think the comment from the twistedskipper sounds about right. When I get back later in July, I will run it into the "E" with a gas can on board and see if I come up with the same numbers. I did check out adding a second tank underneath to bring capacity up to 50, but it costs too much. Strapping on an extra 5 or 10 gallons would seem the way to go if one was really going to go of road for awhile. Still, on those road trips would be nice to get a little more time before the next fill-up-the-tank/empty-the-wallet stop...
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

OK, so I did run my tank dry today ('96 with the 460 and a 4x4 conversion). Last time I filled up, I carefully reset the trip odometer. I have a back rack that slides into the 2" hitch receiver on which I carry an external generator. Therefore, I use the built-in generator space for four, two-gallon gas containers and a bag that holds the extra things needed for winching (tree-saver strap, bow rings, etc.). I have been watching the gauge carefully and as it happened the engine started to falter/run dry just as I drove into a self-serve, vehicle wash. It was great timing. I put in one gallon from a jug, washed the rig, drove across the street to a gas station, and the most the tank would take was 29.5 gallons after several clicks of the pump shut-off. The fuel gauge was in the little red zone on the far left of E. Therefore, I conclude that I have a 30 gallon tank and NOT a 35 gallon tank as it says in the specs. Also, per the manual, there is no low gas warning light... This means that I have a max, repeat max, range of about 250 miles. This tank was a mix of 50mph, 65 mph, idling, etc. usually with the AC running in other words a pretty typical summer tank. The trip odometer read 261 miles. That means I was getting 8.7 mpg. Makes sense as in Winter driving, without AC and keeping it at around 55mph, as I most often do, I was getting about 10mph. The 460 engine is a thirsty thing as all the write-ups say: strong, reliable, powerful and thirsty... When you add the 4x4 conversion and the re-gearing to 3:73 or even 4:10 you take a 2-3 mpg hit.

So, in the end, I am not going to spend the money on adding an extra fuel tank underneath. I am going to carry an extra eight gallons in the small jugs and if I am really going farther, just carry another five gallons on the front or rear rack. That would give me another 50-100 mile of range depending the generator usage. I would really like to get up to 400 mile range, but do not see that happening... [And, in truth, not really necessary, just makes things more relaxing once you are filled up.] Ok doke, that's the gas tank capacity update on my '96.

Hope folks are getting a chance to get out and about.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

I wonder if the 4x4 conversion required a smaller tank. Good to know your official capacity !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Thanks, Jonathan, for sharing your "running out of gas" experience! Now, I don't have to repeat the experiment (at least not on purpose...). I think our tanks are the same size, and this explains the item in my Boulder Off-Road conversion receipt for "fuel tank modifications". It's a bummer that we have to stop for gas so often, but I'm used to it now. I like the idea of carrying more gas--btw are you using the Rotopax tanks? I can't give up the generator space, but maybe could use the winch bumper for attaching the fuel storage containers when on a trip far from civilization. Post a pic of your system for the extended trips when you get to that point, please.

Sounds like you are getting in some good trips this summer. Glad to hear it!

Cecile (aka Keystone)
Keystone
B190 4x4