Weird engine hiccup still persists

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Re: Weird engine hiccup still persists

Post by jb1rd73 »

Drove the van this morning to get it registered and played with driving it more in a manual style, it does make a difference. I narrowed it down to right at 40mph at cruising speed in Drive, 40 mph in 2nd does not do it. However, after putting another bottle of Sea Foam and filling up with 90 octane ethanol free, the hiccup/shutter/jerk what have you seemed to be noticeably decreased :) I am cautiously optimistic that it just needs to be finessed and quirks discovered in a 20 year old vehicle.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Jason: Cool! Sounds like progress... Oh, and I agree with Skater's idea that you take the transmission shop person on a test drive to experience the hiccup.

Cecile aka Keystone
Keystone
B190 4x4
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Good idea on the ride along test drive. Like I said, cautiously optimistic, but I will take any and all victories no matter how slight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

******UPDATE 7-17-14
I sent my PCM off to Solo Automotive Electronics in Miami Florida for a refurbish and program update, highly recommended company service and turn around was lightning fast as in I sent the unit Monday afternoon and had it back this morning. The newly refurbished PCM has solved my hiccup/surge/shudder whatever you want to call it problem. Thank you Keystone for the heads up on this relatively painless fix. $150 plus $6.50 priority shipping
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

jb1rd73 wrote:******UPDATE 7-17-14
I sent my PCM off to Solo Automotive Electronics in Miami Florida for a refurbish and program update, highly recommended company service and turn around was lightning fast as in I sent the unit Monday afternoon and had it back this morning. The newly refurbished PCM has solved my hiccup/surge/shudder whatever you want to call it problem. Thank you Keystone for the heads up on this relatively painless fix. $150 plus $6.50 priority shipping
Yay! :) Bring on the 4wd conversion!
Keystone
B190 4x4
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

jb1rd73 wrote:******UPDATE 7-17-14
Hi jb1rd73,

I have a '94 460 as well. No shudder, but I have a recurring "spark knock" that I haven't been able to completely eliminate. Can you tell me or direct me to some info on the program update? I will be digging around as well, ...thanks for the informative post. ...rick
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Solo Automotive Electronics in Miami FL, super fast turn around and reasonably priced!!!

http://www.solopcms.com/
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

jb1rd73 wrote:Solo Automotive Electronics in Miami FL, super fast turn around and reasonably priced!!!

http://www.solopcms.com/
Thanks Jason,

I noticed that Solo did not have a '94 year in their drop-down menu. Did you just put '93?
Along that line, I noticed that my engine has the '93 firing order, ...not the '94 order that is in my repair manual?
I wonder if this is why the '94 isn't listed?

jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

No you just call them and give them the part number, the year should not matter, as you will need to print out a form they have on the site and include it with your PCM, they will rebuild it just the same. If you are further away and need the vehicle I would send it over night as their turn around time is very expedient!!
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

jb1rd73 wrote:No you just call them and give them the part number, the year should not matter, as you will need to print out a form they have on the site and include it with your PCM, they will rebuild it just the same. If you are further away and need the vehicle I would send it over night as their turn around time is very expedient!!
Great, Thanks!

Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Millennial Falcon »

For anyone interested, I found https://www.autocomputerexchange.com/

Sent them my computer on Thursday. They rebuilt it on Friday and shipped it back. I had it back in hand on Monday. Total rebuild cost was $149.

It has completely solved my shudder/hiccup/surge issue. If you are having poor mileage performance, and any kind of engine roughness... these modules are easy to slide in and out and seriously, I'd recommend doing a rebuild of the ECM before even doing the cap/rotor/wire/sparkers replacements that are normally the culprit of ignition problems.

[EDIT: Before fixing this issue I was getting 7.8 to 8.3 MPG. After fixing the issue, I've been averaging 10 to 11 MPG per tank, and even got 12.5MPG on my last 200 mile drive at 65mph]