Engine sputters under load and more- Victim of the ECM?

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Re: Engine sputters under load and more- Victim of the ECM?

Post by lido14co »

Lots of Google threads out there on this subject but it seems there are a lot of different causes and cures. Since it's seems lack of fuel or spark under load I would suspect fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump sensor, vacuum. But I've also seen threads pointing to timing chain having skipped a few teeth. Cracked rotor seems to show up a lot, too.
What's the exhaust look/smell like? Does it smell like unburned fuel which would indicate electrical? Keep us posted and good luck!

Cliff
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by jb1rd73 »

Sorry to hear that the ECM was not a quick fix. On a side note, SOLO is on my Happy list because it did fix my problem. Mine was not s sputter, more of a jerk or hesitation, maybe its a fuel sender issue? At any rate I wish you luck in a speedy and cost effective fix!
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

I hear ya, but I don't think they test anything. They know the failures and just attack it. If they truly tested mine it would have passed. The odds of two failures and the exact same problem existing is 10 billion to 1.

I worked for Hewlett Packard for 25yrs and did many years at the bench doing component level troubleshooting. I checked "the said bad caps" before I sent it to SOLO..

I had no way here at my home to test the unit other than pin outs, which I did as well and found nothing wrong.

BUT I sent it in doing diligence- as I said I have no way to run a complete function test. Which now I don't think they do either...

They get away with it because to most people electronics is Black Magic. I'm sure they have a good percentage of success, then there are folks like me.

I asked to have it tested then report, they told me 50.00 to test. Well they never called to inform me other than they called to say we fixed it!! That will be 175.00. will that be cash or credit LOL

Oh well that's the way it goes-- and its why I never unless I absolutely have to bring my stuff to someone else, which has been 4 times in my life and each time I have a story to tell....

Thanks for everyone's input, I will certainly keep updating the witch hunt!! Hey it is October so it fits!! Maybe if I beat the engine with a broom it will help..
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

FIXED, Bad injector. First one I ohm'ed came up bad. Book says 11 to 18 ohm, it was open- replaced it and problem is gone. ECM was good NOT bad.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Nice job trouble shooting. Glad you found it. Will try to remember injectors when/if I run into this problem.
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Update, I have not used the van since the ecm bafoonery with SOLO. my advise to anyone with ECM related issues to take the ECM to anyone but SOLO. I see a few others that had good luck with them, although if you Google reviews on the company you will find many more unhappy people than happy. I'm one of the unhappy ones.. If you like to gamble then use them, otherwise go elswhere..

I have no idea what they did to my ECM but it's junk, it has a cold start issue like they may have loaded some old flash file or it was not my ECM I got back.
The van runs horrible for the first 30 seconds of start up, somewhat like you removed 3 plug wires then instantly cleans up and runs fine just like it did before they got their hands on it. Now I'm taking off for a trip so we will see what other surprises they gave me. hopefully none.

As a fast recap I had a bad injector that I was not aware of, so I sent off my ECM to be tested for 50 bucks, well they rebuilt my perfectly good unit and tried to Bill me whatever if was like 300 bucks. I fought SOLO via PayPal and got my money back but all but the 50.

I was able to prove to a point my ECM was not bad and SOLO never argued the fact that they just rebuild everyone's ECM whether it needs it or not. They 100 percent lied about my ECMs leaking caps, my van had already had the upgrade done and I did not have leaking caps guaranteed!!

So I'm left with a mess that cost me 50 to have them screw up my ECM. There are other shops that work on ECMs use them! I will get it resolved and return my van to the way it was, but I'll have a long road ahead to get to that point.

I have already done a diag. And it's for sure the ECMs programming or component problem that's wrong, now finding the solution is another issue.