Engine sputters under load and more- Victim of the ECM?

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
Denco
Weekend Camper

Engine sputters under load and more- Victim of the ECM?

Post by Denco »

Well my 94 pristine love of my life LOL b190 with 55k- last Saturday (shortly after fueling) started to skip a beat while towing 2k pounds of side x side Yamaha Rhino and Trailer. Well so I thought. SUPER long story short it would not pull a blade of grass out of the lawn!!

I did have to undertake the HILLS from HELL (no joke honestly) traveling from Auburn Ca to Downieville Ca- Also let me just say that area is GODS COUNTRY BAR NONE!!

OK so I did lots of things the best I could in the dirt with zip for tools including draining the gas from the Rhino- which had a entire bottle of Sea Foam I put in before my trip. That was a last ditch effort to dry up any water I got while fueling.

OK so that did squat, so I stopped and bought some HEET gas dryer and filled the tank. ZIP nothing still spitting and sputtering and now even on flat ground it would hit on cylinders then stop hitting on cylinders!! Even at idle now it would drop a cylinder.

It was just a coincidence- I'm convinced that it started after the fill up, ya have to fill up sometime/all the time!! so its not all that odd- its started just after that first fill up when we started our trip.

So seems most folks do everything first then attack the ECM from what I have read on here, I'm thinking I'm going to NOT DO what "I" would normally do then find out- the last thing I check is the problem!!

To me common sense says plugs, injectors, wires, TPS, etc.. And hey could be I guess!! But I'm old and tired so I'm going the complete opposite of common sense on this one!!

What started out as a fun trip ended up as the trip from hell stressing about my van and the dangers of continuing on for 3.5 hrs running the way it was is NOT RECOMENDED at all.

I'm seriously going to check the ECM first. Any comments PLEASE LET THEM OUT!!

Regards, Denis
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Engine sputters under load and more- Victim of the ECM?

Post by Keystone »

A 1994 you say? Certainly the ECM is a good place to start, unless the previous owner already had it updated. Mine (also a 94) was already done sometime before 37K miles when I bought it. Solo Automotive Electronics in Miami is the go-to shop for the ECM. Jbr1d73 just went through this process. I imagine he'll weigh in.

I will say it does NOT sound like the fuel pump, which is a problem that gets better when you fill the tank up because the failing in-tank pump cools off and behaves when you add lots of gas.

You can address the other stuff (injectors, a gazillion sensors, etc.) if the ECM update doesn't fix it.

Good luck!
Keystone
B190 4x4
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Keystone,

Funny you say unless someone already did the update?

I will say when I bought the van Alaskan said you DON'T need to worry about the ECM when I chimed in on another posters tales of whoa on a ECM failure.

That was many years ago and I never asked Dave/Alaskan again about what he may have known about my specific B190.

Which I think he did have some knowledge of my van prior to me buying it.. I was new to the B190's and the forum so I just let it go whiel I was drinking from a Fire hose on here already learning many things..

NOW I may have the need to ask him, also I would not think even with the update they are immune to failure?

Certainly it could be something else giving me fits!! This stuff is difficult at best for an expert LOL or so called dealer witch hunter!!

Thank you very much for the good input on my situation, Denis
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 0

Post by jb1rd73 »

ECM update is easy, fast, and relatively cheap. Like Keystone said, if it does not work then you can start knocking off the myriad of other items. I was really pleased with the results and the service. http://www.solopcms.com/
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Thank you for the link and info. By the way I have not thrown a code.

I did have a EGR issue a few weeks ago and it threw a code so that's working or was working/monitoring by the ECM.

Turned out to be the stainless steel lines that run along the passenger frame rail. They terminate at the ends just past the motor mounts with 3 inch vacuum line to re- connect up to the plastic lines on the motor.

The short vacuum lines had pulled away from the plastic lines. What fun those are to re connect!! Its a one handed deal as you can not get both hands up there, I used silicone vacuum line as the jumpers if you will. They slide on real easy but seal extremely well..
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Was the code 332 for the EGR issue? I have that. Does performance improve after fixing the vacuum lines, or is it just peace of mind that the check engine light doesn't come on?
Keystone
B190 4x4
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

I think it was. Damage can happen if the EGR does not open or close. Mine had two codes they both said EGR failed to open pretty sure it was 332 or something in that range, sorry I can not recall exactly. but easy to look that code up on-line... The engine needs the EGR functioning to vary the fuel mixture correctly. You could have a lean condition under load and cook a piston or ring. This is what I was told by my friend that went to UTI then spent 15yrs at Frontier Ford. I do trust his input but that's me! He now owns a pool company LOL I went the entire troubleshooting gamut on this one, it was the last thing I found after going through the entire Troubleshooting deal. There are about 5 items in the system, egr, egr sensor, vac solenoid, vac lines and the engines ability to produce or supply vacuum to the solenoid.. I tested it all then found the issue down on the frame!!!!

Hey wheres my ECM!! Im looking online now for the location, also SOLO will test mine for 50 bucks, seems worthy of my to do that. After I change my fuel filter and test pressure and quantity. should be a quick test to get me past the fuel idea..

Oh to answer your question I never noticed any issues other than the light on, so no nothing improved and or acted up. But I never hammered the throttle either when it threw the code, I jumped on the issue right away..
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_egr ... alve_1.php

above is the trouble shooting process for the vans egr system

another good link for codes and retrieval without a code reader..and yes mine was 332 and 32 now that I found my notes..both say egr related issues..

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

pulled my ecm for giggles, no leaking caps or the like, also dist cap and rotor also look good.. I hoped for a BIG Crack or broken rotor! Not so lucky its going to make me work for this one!
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 0

Post by jb1rd73 »

Just for reference, I did not throw any codes but my ECM was the culprit. The expansion board inside the ECM is the issue they swell and then there is a loss of connectivity, or so I was told, not sure as I did not open the ECM only took it out and sent it. (FWIW, I did a full tune up hoping the same thing, so you are not alone 8O )
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Thanks, Denco, for the links and the information. Hate to keep hijacking your thread, so I may start an EGR thread if I make any progress. But for now I'll cheer you on from the sidelines and hope that the ECM guru can fix your problem.
Denco wrote:http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_egr ... alve_1.php

above is the trouble shooting process for the vans egr system

another good link for codes and retrieval without a code reader..and yes mine was 332 and 32 now that I found my notes..both say egr related issues..

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
Keystone
B190 4x4
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

No hijack im not that way, sometimes the best conversations come from other conversations. no issue here- I enjoy taking about our vans and the sharing of problems I have had.. Kepp on keepin on!! :)
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

UPDATE, I sent my ECM to SOLO last Monday.

SOLO just called said my ECM was bad. Said the caps where leaking.. Also a bad Coil on the board.

I should be getting it back in next week- its all done just needs to ship..

The cost 175.00 was not bad if that fixes my issue... It would be nicer for 50.00 bucks but it is what it is..

If this is what is wrong Ill be very glad I did not go nuts on other stuff.

I will repost when I get it back in the van.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Denis: Fingers crossed that the repaired ECM solves your engine sputtering.
Keystone
B190 4x4
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Well I got the ECM back from SOLO, LOL funny they said my ECM was bad but my van still runs like poo. I question that they truly test anything prior to charging you money. My van ran perfect until whatever it is failed. I have never had any ECM related issues. Im back on the hunt. SOLO is on my poo list..