Anyone changed their o2 sensor? '91 airstream B

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
Lil thunder
B190 Year: 91
WBCCI: 0

Anyone changed their o2 sensor? '91 airstream B

Post by Lil thunder »

Still having problems with engine....seems to be air/ fuel mixture issue . Cranks fine, runs 5-10 minutes at idle, give it gas, and it stalls. Pump the pedal furiously for a while, and it starts , but runs like hell. Plugs are fouled with soot, lots of smoke from the exhaust( smells like too much fuel). I removed the EGR valve the other day , seemed to be ok , cleaned it as best as I could, replaced gasket, no change. Thinking o2 sensor is bad? 81K miles. I put 11k miles on her. I've replaced fuel tanks, fuel pumps(all 3) pressure regulator, fuel pressure running about 39-40 psi, then when we took off the pressure gauge, fuel starts leaking out of the pressure test port. Capped it off, no leaks now. Checked all the vacumn lines , appear to have no leaks or cracks. Unplugged vacuum line from the map sensor, runs terrible, so I'm assuming it's ok. Doing searches on ford sites , thinking tps or o2 sensing failure? O2 seems a little easier to get to. Running out of guesses and money. Anyone got any other ideas? Please?
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Anyone changed their o2 sensor? '91 airstream B

Post by Keystone »

Not really your situation, but years ago I had an '88 F150 (fuel injected) that ran as you describe your ran runs. Belching smoke, stalling...horrible. I remember how vexing that problem was. Lost a lot of sleep and money over it. After spending a fortune on things that did not work, mechanic replaced the computer and the O2 sensor. Those parts made it run pretty well, until a few weeks later when the brakes failed and I got rid of it. Swore I would never own another Ford. Ha! Look at me now...

I know a lot less about cars than you do. But because many here have had luck with the computer guys at SoloAutomotive Electronics, why not give that a try and see if the ECM is the culprit?

In any case, I am sympathetic. Good luck. Skater had a '91--maybe he will have some ideas.
Keystone
B190 4x4
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yeah, never had an issue like that with mine, and it sounds like you've gotten all the most likely sources.

I will say that pumping the pedal on a fuel injected vehicle shouldn't be necessary. Try pushing and holding the gas pedal while starting it - in some vehicles (not sure about ours) that actually turns off the injectors, so if it's flooded the computer won't put yet more gas into the cylinders.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Lil thunder

Post by Lil thunder »

I've tried just holding the pedal, doesn't seem to work . I always thought that odd also. Gonna try the 02 sensor, plugs and a new filter soon, ECM module( computer) next if this doesn't work. Looks fun to try to get to!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The air filter is okay, right?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Lil thunder

Post by Lil thunder »

Yes, new air filter too!
Lil thunder

Post by Lil thunder »

Well, got the o2 sensor changed, plugs, and fuel filter too. Some improvement on the amount of black smoke, but not completely . Still throwing parts, I got a coolant temp sensor today, now if I can find where it goes, maybe that will help.
Sigh.....,
Lil thunder

Post by Lil thunder »

By God, I think I found the problem ! Haven't driven her yet , but idled and revved her for 20 minutes, no stalls, no smoke , just a sweet running engine! Come to find out, after replacing the o2 sensor, a guy at the parts store( advanced discount@ chiefland, Fl) he suggested the coolant temperature sensor may have failed. It was an expensive(60$) for such a small piece, and a genuine bitch to get to, but it seems to be running better. Just wanted to let everyone know the happy? Ending to my story ! :lol:
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Good job! Hope that's the end of your troubles (for now!).

Cliff