Overdrive switch.

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Overdrive switch.

Post by micabarry »

Hi all. Has anyone ever had problems with the overdrive switch on the dash. My 91 460 stays in OD all the time. I'_m not sure if I have power to the switch and the manual I have says the fuse is on the starter relay solonoid which I probably have to pull the engine cover to find. Ideas, opinion are always welcome from this site. Tks
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Re: Overdrive switch.

Post by lido14co »

Doing a little Internet search shows that the overdrive on this transmission is actually just 4th gear. When you start your vehicle, overdrive is enabled allowing access to 4th, not that your driving in 4th. By using the overdrive switch you're actually locking out that higher gear (the switch got moved to the end of the shifter after 91). I use my "off" button when going downhill for some additional braking help. If the light is on, no 4th gear. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

Yes, thanks for that. My switch just doesn't work. I just returned from a 10,000 mile trip East coast to San Diego, up Rt 1 to Oregon and back through Utah , Kansas, Missouri. I had to manually shift to 2nd on downhills many times (6% or more grade not uncommon) for braking and would have liked to just push OD button to use 3rd, but it doesn't work. I pulled the face plate off yesterday and spent 10 minutes trying to find the springs that flew out, and might pull the engine cover today to see if I can find the 20A blue fuse that the manual says us on the starter relay solonoid.
Back to the trip, just a whole lot of fun with the B190. Probably won't be pulling my 61 Tradewind across country anymore. Only surprise was how hard a time it had going up steep grades. Ordered a tach so I can get a little better sense of rpm range but definitely plan to head West again next year.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

It's probably a very simple switch. I'd be tempted to test it for continuity (with the engine off). If it seems to be working, then check the fuse.

My '91 had a light next to it that came on to let you know Overdrive was locked out. I assume later ones have that or a light in the dash for that purpose. I'm guessing you didn't get that light.

For the towing - the van is ~9,000 lbs already, and adding in several more thousand pounds of trailer is going to slow it down a lot more. I've seen people towing 34' trailers with them...wow.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

Good luck with the switch. Sounds like quite the road trip. We're heading to Upper Peninsula Michigan from California this summer with our 92 351. I've gotten really used to pulling over on the uphill grades. Gives me a chance to see more though!

Cliff
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

lido14co wrote:Good luck with the switch. Sounds like quite the road trip. We're heading to Upper Peninsula Michigan from California this summer with our 92 351. I've gotten really used to pulling over on the uphill grades. Gives me a chance to see more though!
We visited the UP and Mackinac last summer with our trailer. Unfortunately we didn't get a lot of time to explore the UP, but it was interesting enough that we'll definitely go back. :)

micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

Yes, mine's a 91 too and it has the same setup, a little light next to a push button switch. No light and no lockout when I push it. I'll let you know when/if I figure it out. And fyi, I wasn't pulling the Tradewind with the B190, I use a f150 economist for that. Been across the country many times with that setup but what I meant is that after traveling in the B190 (this was our first big trip ) I can't see using the trailer anymore. It was that much fun.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

micabarry wrote:Yes, mine's a 91 too and it has the same setup, a little light next to a push button switch. No light and no lockout when I push it. I'll let you know when/if I figure it out. And fyi, I wasn't pulling the Tradewind with the B190, I use a f150 economist for that. Been across the country many times with that setup but what I meant is that after traveling in the B190 (this was our first big trip ) I can't see using the trailer anymore. It was that much fun.
Oh, I see. Glad you had a good time! The B190 is fun to drive, for an RV. :)

micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

Finally got around to working on this switch. I had to pull the dash piece behind the steering wheel just enough to reach up and pop the switch out. I unplugged the cable, cleaned everything up with solvent and a pencil eraser, put it back together and damn if it didn't work. Made me feel real smart even though I don't know what I did. So now I can lock out OD to use engine braking on hills and reduce the shifting going up. Thanks for the comments. On to replacing the floor. Pretty sure I'm going to use cork.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

Yahoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk