Eng stalling

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
Luvrving
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Eng stalling

Post by Luvrving »

Not sure where to post this. 1991 ford 351 and Eng stalls while driving it. I wait 15-30 mins it will usually start but not drive far before it happens again. Has been in shop twice and they can't find anything wrong. I'm on x country trip and I'm very frustrated. It has new fuel filter and ignition module. Any help appreciated.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Eng stalling

Post by Planck »

does this happen on both tanks? I had to replace a fuel pump in one tank, probably from running it too dry. Tough on the road to find a good shop. carb, ignition, or compression is what you need. Could be a bad coil, but hopefully a good shop can find the problem. Stop at a NAPA auto parts store and ask where there is a good shop nearby.

Good luck
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

There are some posts about this, I think they are in the engine/drivetrain forum. Good Luck!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

Luvrving, take a look at my posts in the topic called
The 94 460 Fuel Pump Problem
http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?t=774
to see is anything in there rings familiar for your problem. I realize we have different engine sizes and different tank configurations, but maybe the in-tank fuel pump was a problem in earlier years, too? In any event, after replacing my fuel pump in 2011, the stalling problem has never recurred. Let us know what you learn.

Also, on the subject of finding a good shop, I had great luck on a long trip this winter when we broke down in Yuma, AZ. The shop (John's) advertised being in business since 1979 or so, and had a guy on staff who was like the "car whisperer". He rode around with us listening to the problem and correctly identified it. We had to spend a couple of nights at the nearby motel6 which they had parts machined, but John's rebuilt the carden joints in the driveshaft for a very fair price and we were back in business. These shops still exist! I hope you find one. -Keystone
Keystone
B190 4x4
Luvrving
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by Luvrving »

Thanks for replys. About shops, I've been going to Ford dealer but so far they can't find problem. I'm in Marion, VA. So far I've driven 5000 since 4/1 and the past wk, the problem this past wk has be grounded. It happens on both tanks.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Taking a 25 yr old Econoline to a Ford shop can be a crap shoot. I had a problem in our 91 on a trip and a Ford dealer was nearby. Lucky for me they assigned an old time tech and he knew right away what the problem was, as he had experience with the older models. Another dealer(routine maintenance) said I needed a new starter, as they had a problem starting it after servicing. I experienced this several times over the next few years(usually after sitting unused for a while) and by studying the wiring diagram and doing some Google searching concluded that the problem was the neutral block out switch on the trans. Sure enough, replacing that fixed the problem, and the replacement switch had a redesigned connector to prevent road debris getting into it and causing corrosion. Problem was a faulty connector.

Last year I got held up 5 days on a long trip when the trans went. Long story on what caused it, but my point is, these may be lower mileage, but are around 25 years old, so you need to be ready for unforeseen problems. Unfortunately, most of us do not use the 190 as a daily driver, so when problems happen, we are not usually near home.

Good luck - Phil