Transmission Temp & Vacuum gauge install

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
EdwardM
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: Transmission Temp & Vacuum gauge install

Post by EdwardM »

We just ordered the transmission temp gauge, as we had a problem when driving in the mountains. Looking forward to installing it myself, we also have a 1993 so hopefully the install should be pretty straightforward.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

Hi Kentuckian, could you please take a picture of where the temp reader attaches to the transmission pan? Thanks.

Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Hello Edward,

You bet. Here is the photo that you requested. This photo is taken as viewed from under the vehicle below the driver's seat with camera aimed at the drivers side of the transmission housing. In this photo, the blue wire leads to the transmission temperature sensor that I installed.

Just unscrew the bolt that is in the transmission test port and screw in the sensor into that port.

Regards,
Attachments
Transmission pan sensor position.jpg
Transmission pan sensor position.jpg (34.42 KiB) Viewed 16438 times
1993 Airstream B190
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

Thanks for the photo. The guage arrived today, so I'll install it this afternoon. It didn't come with much information, which is a little intimidating but it should be straightforward.

usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

I read that only pressure holds the A-pillar (drivers side) trim in place - no glue or clips. So is it as simple as getting your fingers behind the top corners and pulling it off?
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Chris,

It gets even easier than that...

The Autometer pillar just fits right over the existing pillar. No need to remove the factory pillar cover.

On my vehicle, the Autometer pillar cover is mechanically trapped between the dash, the Airstream upper bunk roof above the driver's seat, the windshield seal and the door frame rubber seal. Mine fits very well without additional fasteners. I pulled the edges of the door frame rubber seal over the edge Autometer pillar cover. This hides the exposed edge of the Autometer pillar cover.

I do suspect that one of these days, I will use a couple of trim screws to secure the Autometer pillar to the factory pillar.
1993 Airstream B190
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

Just installed the guage last week. Very easy install and it's working nicely. Thanks very much for the info!

Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Way to go, Edward! Glad its working well for you.
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

For those of you installing a vacuum gauge, here is an informative web page explaining how to use your vacuum gauge to keep track of the condition of your engine.

Scroll to the bottom of the web page to get to the simulation on how to interpret what your vacuum gauge is telling you.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm
1993 Airstream B190
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

Hi Kentuckian,

I had one more question for you, I didn't know if this thread was the best place, but I think it is. Do you have more information on the transmission oil cooler you installed? And any pictures of how you installed it? We're currently in Mexico going through the mountains, and while the gauge is great at telling us that we need to pull over, we are spending a lot of time waiting for the transmission to cool down. I've seen a few kits online, but wasn't sure which would fit our 93. They have Auto zone here in Mexico, so we'll be stopping there in a few days. Your help is much appreciated!

Edd.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Hi Ed,

I'm glad the gauge is working out for you. I haven't installed a transmission cooler yet. So unfortunately I can't lend a hand with those questions. I likely will do an install some time in 2018. But, my system seems to run fairly cool as is. So for now, the transmission cooler is a ways down the todo list.

Just for my information, which driving conditions seems to cause you the most transmission heat trouble? Climbing? Using the transmission for engine braking while going down hills? Other?

Any one else want to join and help Ed with his questions?
1993 Airstream B190
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

EdwardM wrote:Hi Kentuckian,

I had one more question for you, I didn't know if this thread was the best place...

Hi Ed!

Installing a transmission cooler is a very straightforward install. There is a ton of information online that can help you make the decision. AutoZone online is a great place to find the kit you need to install — just enter the specifics of your vehicle. It seems like you can find help to do the install relatively easy where you are currently traveling. I installed a transmission oil cooler shortly after installing the trans temp gauge as a preventative measure. A great bonus is it will help your transmission last longer by removing excessive heat. Most kits are not very expensive and the install can be performed in a few hours. I highly recommend you install one on your rig.

My wife and I are really enjoying your and Melissa’s blog - Great writing and awesome pictures!

http://estimate.myautomatictransmission ... tallation/

http://www.autozone.com

Generic install video: https://youtu.be/M12MY0SaKpY
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Blog, what blog ?
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Kentuckian - the transmission heats up the most going up hill, using engine braking on the way down doesn't increase the temperature per se, but it doesn't let it cool down at all. At the moment we're in the mountains surrounding Guadalajara, it took us a long time to travel a short distance!

Chris - thanks for the info. I wasn't sure which kit would fit, or if there was something special about the transmission, but it does seem quite straightforward. I'll go into Autozone in a couple of days. I'll do the install myself and put some pictures up here. I've been surprised just how hot the transmission gets, so anything I can do to prolong it's life will be a great help. We're glad you're enjoying the blog, that's Melissa's writing, I just pose for the photos!

Choptop - my wife and I are currently driving to South America in our B190 and we're keeping a blog. http://www.parkthehouse.com at the moment we're in Mexico and slowly heading south.

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Thanks EdwardM, will follow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!