front engine noise

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

front engine noise

Post by Choptop »

'90 460, newer alternator, belt looks good. 3 second belt squeal/whine when I start it up then goes away. My concern is a slight "rattling" while the engine is running and a "che, che che, sound. AC works. Was suggested that I spray things, pulleys, 1 at a time and if it stops, that's my culprit, belt tensioner is relatively cheep and doesn't seem that hard to get at, I think I will start their. Any other suggestions or input ? Thanks in advance.
ZachS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Re: front engine noise

Post by ZachS »

Anybody done this? What do you spray... Or does it matter? Silicon? WD? Obviously, avoid the belt itself. I too have a (not too urgent sounding) bearing (or something) sound coming from the front of the engine bay. I've been meaning to put a stethoscope on it

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Abie Sea
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989

Post by Abie Sea »

We had a concerning noise from the engine front in a 1989 and managed to find an honest shop in Coos Bay. It was a problem with the serpentine belt. It had been replaced by the wrong belt and there was very little scope to increase the tension. Stretching the limit it was able to stop the noise about 8,000 miles ago. Thje mechanic noted that the pullies should have been cleaned of rust before the belt was replaced. Perhaps checking the tension is the first step in looking into your problem
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Abie Sea wrote:We had a concerning noise from the engine front in a 1989 and managed to find an honest shop in Coos Bay. It was a problem with the serpentine belt. It had been replaced by the wrong belt and there was very little scope to increase the tension. Stretching the limit it was able to stop the noise about 8,000 miles ago. Thje mechanic noted that the pullies should have been cleaned of rust before the belt was replaced. Perhaps checking the tension is the first step in looking into your problem
Sounds like a start, thank you Abie Sea :!: :!: