Fan belt slipping when cold

Can't go anywhere without a working drivetrain
baggydew
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Fan belt slipping when cold

Post by baggydew »

The fan belt slips and squeals when first starting a cold engine. I checked the belt..no cracks or abnormal wear. As soon as I put it in gear, the belt is ok. Thought the belt was self adjusting. Am I wrong? Fixes?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Fan belt slipping when cold

Post by skater »

Do you have the 460?

If so, mine has two belts. One, the one that drives things on the driver's side (like the air conditioner compressor) has a tensioner. It's possible that has worn out. I'm going off memory here, but I'm pretty sure there's also an idler pulley right next to the A/C compressor (which I think is causing noise on mine).

The other belt drives the alternator and possibly the power steering pump. That one does not have a spring tensioner; you have to set the tension as you tighten up the top accessory (if memory serves, it's the alternator) - it's on a bracket that slides.

But, do a quick search on youtube for belt squeal - I've seen videos that demonstrate how to confirm it's just belt noise by squirting some water on it. If it goes away, it was the belt. If not, it's likely a pulley squeaking.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

Yes, I have the 460. I'll check the tensioner. The water trick is impossible as I can't get to the engine fast enough. The squeal goes away within about 5 to 10 seconds after starting. Just enough to wake other campers in the morning.
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Skater is correct mine did the same thing. Its a little embarrassing at the campground been there done that. With time the rubber gets hard and slips just enough to get some unwanted attention. A new set of belts will cure the problem. Pull the air cleaner its not to difficult to get to everything and you might as well put a new idler pulley on while your in there. If I remember correctly I needed a third had for the alternator side.
Good luck
Dennis

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

Thanks everyone. The smaller belt was slightly loose. The one w/o the tensioner. I tightened it at the alternater which is mounted by two bolts, a 1/2 and a 9/16 th.. a crowbar is necessary to adjust the alternator housing while tightening the bolts. That fixed the problem. The belts both were in good shape. Appreciate the help.